Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just been dumped- devastated
Hey I am new on here and just wanted to get some things of my chest.
I am 31 years old and had been with my boyfriend aged 28 since May 2015 , we had a pretty intense and busy start to it, we both have anxiety and other mental health issues , he has his own place and is doing a PHD , I am now at my folks although used to be at his a lot.
Last October I left my job of 7 years to start a new position near him in a very busy retail role- sadly this did not work out I had to leave after my anxiety , we agreed not to tell his family as they are very protective of him.
Just before Christmas he got really drunk and came home he called me scum and pathetic and said that he had put up with a lot more than me and I was weak for being a recovering alcoholic.
I left but we made up the next day , In January he had another episode but we made up, he would still text me sometimes saying he deserved better , I took my old job back and things were good again , I got excited about the college ball as he had wanted me to go ages before- I saw a poster for it but he said it was booked up, weeks later he said it wasn't but because he could not say he was proud of me.
I got over this and we continued along - he finishes his studies this summer and has been very stressed, then two weekends ago we had another bust up, I was foolish and made the error of having a sip of the dregs of wine in one of his empty bottles. He was very angry and said he did not need this. I agreed we would stay together and I would see him in mid July after his studies ended, we spoke on the phone daily and it seemed good, then he announced on Tuesday he was done and could not forgive me for my actions.
I texted asking him to take me back and he said no , then I did again and then sent a long e mail saying how I felt and would change, he said that his feelings have diminished for me in recent months and that his drinking has increased due to my putting on him and his medication dose has also gone up.
I should add that I would often seek re-assurance a lot and have thought loops- I saw a therapist this spring and was discharged from it. I feel very odd at the moment and am devastated - I came out at 26 and he has been the first guy I have loved as much, I know this is rambling and I just needed to vent.

Sorry for your loss of this relationship. Hope you feel better soon. Change can make you feel odd at first, but soon you will integrate this situation in your mind. Your ex doesn't sound like he is taking responsibility for his actions. Who knows, perhaps you are better off without him.

Thanks for the support- it has been a difficult relationship - I feel very stupid at the moment as I am resisting the desire to contact him- I keep coming up with ideas and ways to remind him of us when it is good.

Sorry to hear about your relationship breakdown, but change hurts and it will take time for you to adjust but personally, I wouldnt want someone who cant take responsibility for their actions. Youre not at fault. He is. The sooner you accept that, the better it be for you as you can get back out there and find someone who won't have a go at you when they're drunk.

Thanks for the kind words, I have not contacted him since Friday morning and am doing okay- I keep feeling tempted to message him- I don't want to stress him as his studies are finishing this week.

I feel like you are leaving a lot out of this post, as there are statements that don't make sense unless more happened than you are relating.
Non the less, I am sorry you are hurting and hope that things improve for you.
~Beaux

I will say that I have anxiety and would seek re-assurance a lot at times, we had a rocky time sometimes and this was in part due to my stress and his too.