Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just got back from vacation in Ireland (Irish/British foods and candy discussion)
I had a blast visiting Galway, Dublin, and castles near the two cities. I will definitely have to go back to visit southern and northern ireland.

The one thing I will say is that I fell in love with the most are their Kit-Kats. For those that don't know Kit-Kat is owned by both Hershey and Nestle. Hershey gets to sell it in the states while Nestle gets the rest of the world. But that's not even the most interesting part. Nestle has flavored Kit-Kats. I fell in love with the Mint and Orange flavors. I wish I had an opprotunity to stock up on the mint ones, because by the time I tried it and fell in love, I could no longer find them in any of the grocery stores.

However I did find this site: http://www.britishfoodwholesalers.com/bf...l?limit=24

and recommend anyone who is in the states to try them out. yeah you have to buy them in bulk but it is a hell of a lot cheaper if you buy them on amazon. I know I will be buying a bunch of the two flavors probably once a year now.

I also fell in love with Soda bread while there. It was so good! Especially toasted and with peanut butter or Nutella. Easily one of my new favorite breads.

My sister and I tried Fairy Cakes (so good!) They are kinda like a cupcake, denser but still light and moist.

Rasher's are interesting, but can get really salty. Burned my mouth on one it was so salty I had to stop eating them. For those that don't know Rasher's is a really thick bacon.

I also really liked the Chicken goujons (?). They were chicken tenders, but cooked in the same type of batter that cod typically gets fried in. I definitely have to find these in the states!!

I loved having Guinness there. It is so much better fresh on tap, than here in the states. The one thing I learned from touring the "factory" was that it is actually ruby red in color. I'll never drink another here, now I know what it is supposed to taste like. (Also their tour was weird, so many screens and simulations, but nothing to see in real life. They tried to be so hip and modern that they made it a sham. Jameson had a much better tour, and souvenirs for the matter of fact.)

Back on the candy, I also tried these: Aero, Flake, Toffee Crisp, and bon bons. (I've had them before, but had to buy a bunch, they aren't too common in the states from what I've gathered. I think I'd have to go to a candy store to get them, but I don't have one close by). The flake was interesting, but think it is the dumbest idea for a candy bar. It falls apart as you eat it (hence the name) and is a waste of chocolate. There is no good way to eat it.

Why are things so much better outside of where I live??

I think that it's a really common misconception that England and Ireland, I've heard this especially of England, have very bland, boring food. However, I came to the conclusion after a trip I took to both that it certainly wasn't the case. My friend and I were going crazy for Cadbury when we were taking trains with our families.

The food was soooo good too. Like the English/Irish breakfast, who wouldn't like all that. And I for one think the baked beans are a wonderful addition to a breakfast. Fish and chips are the s*** too lol

The one thing I will say though, the worst thing I ate in Ireland was the cornbeef and cabbage. Later did I realize that cornbeef and caggage is more of a Irish American immigrant tradition than an Irish tradition, that's what I was told.

Even beyond the food, both countries were just so amazing and beautiful. England I could see myself living in and Ireland I could see making many trips to, especially now that I'm old enough to drink and could go without my mother!!

But anyways, I'll get out of my day dream and say, I don't know why things are so much better Tongue I guess it's to encourage you to go traveling

It is really interesting to hear both of your accounts of your trips to this part of the world (well Radbot's is close and a lot of the things he was describing you get in England too). Made me smile Smile

Yeah these different flavor kit kats are a relatively new edition.. for years it was just kit kat well actually the dark kit kat has been around for a while, did you have the two finger or the four finger kit kats ? I noticed recently even more new flavors are coming out, like cookie crumble and shit, I think the original is the best, when we were kids we sucked all the chocolate off and just left with wafers.

If you are eating a flake the trick is to get it in your mouth before it breaks apart but traditionally we stick them in mr whippys..I believe you call it "soft serve" so yeah thats the good way to eat it! Smile

ahhh my post disappeared again and again and again, almost every post I make dissapears and doesnt return days later. days later..Thanks GS. bye

what did it say?

im planning to visit ireland on this summer... never eat fairy cakes, but rest are familiar or like kitkat is sold here too. but i think im going more with fruits, salads and cider Big Grin

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

Did you try Tayto? Apparently, northern Tayto is completely different from the southern one in every way but name. Southerners dismiss our Tayto as being 'Protestant'.

Irusu Wrote:ahhh my post disappeared again and again and again, almost every post I make dissapears and doesnt return days later. days later..Thanks GS. bye
That'll happen until you reach 50 posts, I think (new members' posts are sometimes checked before they're actually posted to make sure it's not just spam).

Sounds like you had a great holiday buddy - your post did remind me of things I take for granted though like the flavoured kit-kats etc , although tbh...when ive visit Florida I was exactly the same as you, couldn't believe the amount of different flavours of ice cream in the supermarkets - all in tubs 5x bigger than anything ive ever seen here in the UK lol