Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anna-María Mozart
[SIZE="4"]Some little known information:

http://www.historyandwomen.com/2010/08/m...ozart.html[/SIZE]
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Interesting story, I never knew about her. Its very sobering to think about how many brilliant minds were never given the opportunity. It reminds me of a quote by Stephen Jay Gould:

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”

Actually pretty well known among music students. Fanny Mendelssohn is a somewhat similar story in that she was under recognized.
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:Actually pretty well known among music students. Fanny Mendelssohn is a somewhat similar story in that she was under recognized.

[SIZE="4"]As are:

Hildegard of Bingen (1098-1179)

Francesca Caccini (1587-c1641)

Barbara Strozzi (1619-77)

Elisabeth Jacquet de La Guerre (1665-1729)

Duchess Anna Amalia of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel (1739-1807)

Louise Farrenc (1804-75)

Clara Schumann (1819-96)

Ethel Smyth (1858-1944)

[/SIZE]
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Huh, I had no idea...

Very interesting thread looks like i've got some music to explore.

Slight deviation from the topic.
But I have to mention Ada Lovelace.... she was the world's first computer programmer.

Unschooled in Victorian England she stubbornly educated herself. Her clever questioning impressed legendary inventor Charles Babbage over the dinner table. So much so he invited her to create the code for his life's work. The Analytical engine.

A brilliant mind who achieved a great deal for mankind but could've done so much more if she hadn't been restrained by Victorian values.

If anyone here subscribes to Acorn TV, there is a very interesting feature on Ada Lovelace. Worth looking it up to watch.
I bid NO Trump!