Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ken Mehlman comes out
This is some Republican who was against gay rights. Now he comes out... hmm... you think he deserves an apology?

A Republican Comes Out of the Closet - NYTimes.com

I don´t know him ... never heard about ... but here in Germany it´s not a big deal if a politician is gay .... everybody knows because they aren´t in the closet, living open with their partners... some mayors are, one in the government is, the mayor of Berlin has outet himself with : "ja, ich bin schwul und das ist gut so " ( means : Yes, I´m gay and that is also good")... maybe it works and gay politician in other country do the same...

I think it was more the hypocrisy element rather than that the politician was gay in the first place.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

I have not noticed the hypocrisy. I think its "normal" for politicians ... only If they are involved or they can´t hide something longer, everything was meant quite different.... or they have never said it.

Wish I can say I was shocked n’ amazed but I’m not.

There is a good Dick Kirby documentary called Outrage that covers the whole self-loathing gay republican thing pretty well.

I have never been slapped in the face literally...but my memory contains a definite slap in the face moment that changed me forever. I was bartending and this guy was introducing himself to me and giving me a hug/kiss and telling me that I should be happy that he came out because for years he would follow people from the nightclub and assault them...I froze and wanted to wash myself where he touched me and I did everything I could to hide my feelings ...I thoroughly hated the man and had no forgiveness at all for him because I thought of his victims...the brave people who had to suffer at the hands of this coward.... and when I heard about Ken I had the same reaction....how much damage did he do to others? He helped perpetuate fear against gay people in the GW Bush campaigns...telling us that GW is supportive is a load of crap.

I suppose I could have some forgiveness if the person took complete responsibility for their actions instead of pretending THEY were the victim and then maybe helping at a gay teen suicide center or doing something constructive to counteract the damage they have done. Sorry...I know I sound cold but I have seen too much damage these people have done and THAT is where my compassion lies.

eastofeden Wrote:...I suppose I could have some forgiveness if the person took complete responsibility for their actions instead of pretending THEY were the victim and then maybe helping at a gay teen suicide center or doing something constructive to counteract the damage they have done. Sorry...I know I sound cold but I have seen too much damage these people have done and THAT is where my compassion lies.
Amen to that, EofE. I don't think you sound cold at all, quite the opposite, in fact.