Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kenya further develops HIV/AIDS programmes
Now this is much better news to come out of Africa.

Quote:Kenya is embarking on a new strategy to combat the spread of HIV/Aids among the gay community.

The government will establish special round the clock clinics, facilitate the importation of protective gear such as condoms and lubricants, train health workers on how to handle those seeking healthcare and roll out a vigorous sex education campaign among the youth. ... more

-----

Of course there is still much opposition to treating sexual minorities with fairness. An intersexed man, currently in prison for robbery offenses, is petitioning the Kenyan authorities to recognise a third sex. He is trying to fight for people, such as himself, who have been subject to physical and sexual abuse whilst incarcerated to have the opportunity to serve their sentences in safer facilities. more

-----
Naturally in a country where religious believers have a lot of influence there is opposition to the very concept of fairness for LGBTI people. This writer attempts to construct an argument in logical terms, but falls into the usual traps that seem to snag the thinking of many who surrender rational thinking to blind belief.
Daily Nation: - Opinion |Homosexuality an abomination in the sight of God and man

CLose scrutiny of both articles shows them to be somewhat wooly, if you ask me. I particularly love the statistic 'between 14 and 50%'. That's a positively gargantuan error margin. The second falls flat for theological reasons i have not the energy to get into. Yay for rigid views!!

Hopefully this will make a dent, but it seems like cultural issues in parts of Africa continue to be the root of the cause of the continued expansion. At least they are trying.

sox-and-the-city Wrote:CLose scrutiny of both articles shows them to be somewhat wooly, if you ask me. ...
Of course they are woolly. They are newspaper articles, not scientific papers. Could they have been written in the UK ... ?

By the way, welcome back, sox.