Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keyboard problem?
If you, like me, don't touch type and thump away at the keyboard with just two fingers, you might find that on some keyboards, the letters gradually begin to disappear with wear. The letters "A" and "S" seem to be particularly prone. This has been my problem for some time and I have tried various remedies. One of them was to paint all the keys with clear nail varnish that helped to preserve the letters.

I've just found a different solution. This was suggested to me by someone on a different forum. These are stick on labels:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?u...+keyboards

Some of them are expensive, some are cheaper. They're available in many different languages and I bought mine on Amazon.es since I needed a Spanish keyboard and one set cost me just €4.76/$5.31/£3.66 postage included.

I hope this helps if anyone has the same problem.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

When you get a new keyboard. .you can protect the letters with a $2 bottle of this..
[Image: 69955aae16dacb8072e3451c93099ab0.jpg]

Used for this..

[Image: 467ea4d9acd620c20505f788159e2339.jpg]

The letters are screen printed and they will fade depending on the quality dye, paint or ink.

Alto, you remind me of my "sadistic" typing teacher in high school.

One morning we came into class and found that she had removed all the letters from the typewriters so that we could not look. Mean!

Londoner, my keyboards always wear out before the letters wear off. How do you make the keyboards last so long?

PS: Wouldn't it be more fun to just drink the nail polish? You wouldn't care about the letters then.
I bid NO Trump!

Anocxu Wrote:When you get a new keyboard. .you can protect the letters with a $2 bottle of this..
[Image: 69955aae16dacb8072e3451c93099ab0.jpg]

Used for this..

[Image: 467ea4d9acd620c20505f788159e2339.jpg]

The letters are screen printed and they will fade depending on the quality dye, paint or ink.

Isn't that what I said in my OP?

Some expensive keyboards have letters that are of a different materiaal and are an integral part of the key and are impossible to wear out. One like a Logitech back lighted keyboard is very expensive though:

http://www.amazon.es/Logitech-920-002377...B0055ZWPE4

LJay Wrote:Londoner, my keyboards always wear out before the letters wear off. How do you make the keyboards last so long?

I've never had a keyboard wear out on me. I've had keyboards that were faulty, keys that wouldn't work etc., but never a keyboard that wore out.

Alto Wrote:You should rub out all the letters and numbers, then you will be forced to remember where they are... everybody except me.

I actually do remember where some of the letters are but I would be incapable of typing without looking at the keyboard. One of the reasons that the A and the S wear out more quickly is because they are so close to the CAPS key that is used so often.

LONDONER Wrote:I've never had a keyboard wear out on me. I've had keyboards that were faulty, keys that wouldn't work etc., but never a keyboard that wore out.

That's what I mean by "wearing out." Something goes wrong with the silly thing and it becomes unusable. I am presently using a Logitech wireless keyboard that seems to be holding up pretty well.
I bid NO Trump!

Alto Wrote:You should rub out all the letters and numbers, then you will be forced to remember where they are... everybody except me.

Doesn't everyone rub one out at the keyboard?

people can blind type if they've used the same keyboard layout for a long time. the keyboard you are using gets recorded in your brain. your fingers know automatically where any letter is. you don't really have to think about where any letter is located, you know where they are.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

LONDONER Wrote:If you, like me, don't touch type and thump away at the keyboard with just two fingers, you might find that on some keyboards, the letters gradually begin to disappear with wear. The letters "A" and "S" seem to be particularly prone.

I've never had that problem with disappearing letters. At least not in the way you're talking about. Years ago, when I was a more nervous gamer than I am now, I had disappearing letters literally, because I hit the keyboard a little harder than necessary and the keys flew somewhere. Once I even lost an Escape key and despite my efforts to find it I never could.
Now I don't hit the keyboard anymore and keys don't disappear. Neither do the letters. The worst that could happen with a keyboard of mine is that the keys could become harder to press or get stuck pressed. But 4 years ago I found a good AND cheap brand of keyboards that doesn't have that problem with keys getting stuck.
Arch Linux, Core i7 4770, GTX 1660 Ti 6GB, 32GB DDR3 RAM
home is where root is.