Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kids react to an old computer
Some people on here won't remember these. Just shows you how technologyn has advanced:

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LOL, literally, LOL! That was AWESOME! Thanks for posting it. Def gona share.

Yeah, I remember DOS… but I'm so old, hell, I remember CRANK type telephones! :eek:

I wan't a geek but living here in Berkeley I was surrounded by computer science nerds (first modem I saw was in an apartment in 1973, you put the hand set of the phone on a box and it dialed out with tones to a main-frame on campus). So, I wasn't at all "impressed" with computers for rather a long time. 20+ years to be exact. I was into the visual arts and, as the one girl said, that green and black was *ugly*!

It wasn't until the 1980s that a friend (whose dad was an IBM exec.) and I began to become interested in them. He had a desktop computer with a 'thousands of colors' monitor. We were both artists and began playing around with a program called "lumina." Problem was, there was no way to directly out-put any 'art' created on the monitor. You had to save the image file to a floppy disk, mail the floppy disk to a lab in San Jose, where they would boot up the image and photograph the monitor with a 35mm camera. Thus now you had a slide transparency of the image which could be printed. yay. :redface:

It wasn't till about 10 years later when image sharing on the internet became available that I began to take an interest in computers at all. Suddenly two things happened: 1) it was possible to interact remotely with other people you would likely never meet; and 2) it was possible to share art made on the computer in the medium in which it had been created. YAY! Laugh1

Now, just try and imagine what things are going to be like when in another, oh, I don't know, 30 or 40 years, and children react as underwhelmed with a current laptop or iPad! I have to say, with very few exceptions, most of those of us who were trying to make sense of DOS had *no idea* how computer technology coupled with the internet were about to change our lives.

lol I still remember the floppy disk haha
thanks for sharing it.

Hahaha, I remember the floppys. Nothing magnetic near it. The display monitor also was box-like and it wasn't until 4 years ago we had all flat screen display monitors in school.

lol This makes me thankful for the technology we have nowadays. Never take things for granted.

ironically all students in here are using windows 7 and windows 8 but the schools still attempt to teach us win xp.
pleaseee

Mike: Thank you for that. I'm sure that there must be a few other members who can relate to your experience.

My first computer worked at the amazing speed of 4Mhz and it too had a black and green screen. The "luxury" model had slots for two diskettes! It came complete with keyboard and a matrix printer and cost a fortune.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

The silly machines scare me. Imagine what will be in 25 years. [shiver]
I bid NO Trump!

Excellent! My first computer was a Commodore 64, which I bought in 1984. I also bought the optional floppy disk drive, which took 5" floppies that actually were, well, floppy! I bought the computer to run MIDI sequencer software on. Also wrote a few things in BASIC for my own use. Ancient times, indeed. Smile

[Image: 511E3JCHKYL._SY300_.jpg]