Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kinda stuck :/ sorry for the long story
So..

The way this basically goes is that I like a guy but I think he either doesn't feel the same way about me anymore or just sees us as something potentially casual. Met this guy last May on Grindr of all places, hadn't had much luck before that on there, very difficult for an (at the time) closeted gay guy to meet people in rural East Yorkshire without that sometimes dubious app.

Got on very quickly, had loads of similar interests and similar kind of attitudes and styles. Exchanged numbers, skype and snapchat details and proceeded to spend a month talking and getting more and more well acquainted. Eventually met towards the end of June and really hit it off. It was clear I quite liked him and felt very much mutual given his enthusiasm for me. We proceeded to meet quite regularly over the summer, just about twice week (good given he lives about 40mins away).

All the while this was happening I was coming out to friends and family. He gave me great support and advice and was a real rock during that time. It felt like we were rumbling towards something. The kind of things we said to each other and the clear affection, attraction and connection we had just made it feel like that. He'd talk about how we would tell people we met, or how he'd thought he would get along well with my family.

However as Autumn got fully underway along he started to occasionally be a bit distant. We only would have time to meet once a week. He would also start saying he was spending time with his friends/family and wouldn't therefore be responding to his phone for the day or evening. Yet those times would come and go and the emotion, warmth and humour with which we talked would just strike up again.

The way in which we talked stayed the same, with us still talking pretty much every day (barring his awol days obviously). I really felt as though I was falling for him regardless of what you might call our slight dip in form. I really really liked him and just continually thought about what could be "our" future.

I had had no reason to doubt him. As a person he is a very outgoing, confident guy who'd been out for years and had previously had a relationship. But most of all he is honest. Almost brutally so. And I just thought if something happened then he would most definitely find some way of telling me.

In late November for some reason I went back onto Grindr. Hadn't really been on since early September when things felt at a peak for us. And I don't particularly know why I did it. He was either online or had just been online. I was quite surprised. We weren't official or anything so I had no hold or claim over him but I was a little hurt. It dawned on me that maybe he was just chatting to people. After all, it can be just for chatting. Indeed, a lot of the people I had talked to on there before him were just harmless chats that eventually fizzled out.

I kind of convinced myself to not be too bothered by it and also just take the opportunity to chat with other guys in a friendly way. As it goes, I don't actually have any gay friends and while that shouldn't matter as my friends have been awesome and supportive it was still in my mind that it would be nice to have people I could relate to on that level.

Meanwhile, other than the odd day or evening here and there I'd hear from him and we'd talk in much the same way as usual, every day. Updates on how we were/what we were doing, banter and in-jokes as well as sexual talk. It was in December that I noticed (I know this sounds stalker-ish but we nearly ALL do it in some way) that some of the usernames that were on Grindr locally were the same as ones on his top friends list on snapchat.

Again. It was a setback in my confidence in him. As I say, I had now gone back onto Grindr but it was to just chat with guys. Anyone after anything more I had swiftly brushed off. I didn't have eyes for anyone else. Maybe there was a perfectly reasonable explanation. Maybe there wasn't. I was stuck at this point as to whether to ask for a serious chat and potentially end something from which I thought we'd both drawn so much. It would expose the kind of eye I was keeping on him and possibly ruin something that might not be broken.

So I bottled it and decided not to say anything. To give him the benefit of the doubt as a result of his undiluted honesty. From just before Christmas we would slowly see each other less and less. Yet still the conversation, warmth and seeming interest staying the same, near enough every day. With it also being initiated by him about 70-80% of the time. We both became very busy, myself with Uni and my work and him with his burgeoning professional career and sad family problems.

It was, and still is, somewhat depressing that we came so close, and that there is obviously some kind of connection between us. We talked for so long and the tone has stayed the same. Yet the physical meetings are few and far between and I just can't help but be concerned by that and my Grindr/Snapchat reconnaissance. For instance, on the day of writing he has potentially sent near enough 90 Snapchats to someone with the exact same username as a person on Grindr locally.

Its been distracting for me, a certain amount of work and reading for Uni has been neglected since Christmas time. I've also spent a certain amount of time feeling sad and a little angry. Visibly picked up on by those around me, who know me as a subdued but generally positive and humorous person.

I guess I feel a bit stuck and don't really know what to do. I really, really like him. I've never felt like this about anyone. I don't want to lose him out of my life but can see that being in this situation of being more than friends but less than boyfriends is only hurting me and affecting me negatively at a critical time.

Should I just carry on? Should I learn to care a little less and take it easy? Should I demand a conversation and some clarification? Or am I being totally naive and should just walk away right now?

Any advice appreciated, especially after trawling through all that! :/ Sorry!

IMO those Grindr apps aren't really for finding a long term BF. They're geared more towards the instant gratification hook ups... Wham, Bam, off to the next one "quantity over quality". I think you should look more towards the DATING type apps - although there's probably some scoundrel jerks on there too.

Perhaps you fell a little too hard for this guy you barely knew. Try to not get so attached in the future.

Having a casual relationship from spring to spring is not the worst of situations. sure you want more, but is it realstic being 40 minute apart? When you are together, talk about the situation with him. Ask him what he thinks. You also need to have some other friends closeby, even if they are not gay friends. Try taking a few steps back and looking at the relationship as though you were someone else. Are you seeing too much in it?
I bid NO Trump!

Communications, communications, communications!

The most important element of any relationship, and it's often overlooked for a number of reasons, including assuming the other person is completely in tune to your needs, wants and desires.

Was there a clear discussion about where both of you wanted the. Relationship to go, or did you assume that he wanted the same as you as you were continuing to meet?

Did you discuss about coming off the various dating apps, or did you assume he wasn't using them any longer?

Did you discuss about exclusivity, or did you assume you had it?

Did you discuss your uni workload with him and how it may impact the amount of time you had together, or did you assume he knew uni=long hours of work?

And finally have you talked about the grindr and snapchat activity, or are you assuming he's cheating and it's all over?

Until you both sit down face to face and have some clear communications between the pair of you, this relationship is only heading one way, at least in your assumption.

ObW
X

Everything you reported indicates that he has seen your relationship at best as friends with benefits, and whilst he hasn't been 100% open and honest about the other guys he is seeing, you also made it clear that no permanence or anything deeper was agreed upon.

I think you know what all of those times his phone was off while he was spending time with friends and relatives meant.

I also think you fully understand why he is on grinder...

Just because you are deluding yourself into thinking it was just for chats, doesn't mean that is reality.

And just because you are deluding yourself into explaining away why you are going to grinder, your real motive is clear - to keep tabs on him.

Either way this goes you run the risk of his going away out of your life.

The choice is not so much if you lose him, but if you lose him for the right reasons or the wrong reasons.

Chances are higher that if you confess your feelings to him that the friendship will continue.

He most likely will reject the notion of partnership/boyfriends. Get used to that idea.

But there is a minor hope here that even if he is brutally honest that he has been as fearful of rejection as you and hasn't broached the subject himself. He MIGHT have similar feelings, but having had one relationship that ended horribly (all relationships end horribly, it always hurts) most likely discourages him.

Until you resolve this nothing will change, you will remain in this limbo. If you want to change it you need to ask and take the risks.