Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kindle v Book
I use both but I prefer paper for now. This is coming from someone with books stacked everywhere in their room, including the closet; I could probably do with a greater love of ebooks.

Primarily, I like to support small publishers and independent book sellers. Amazon is incredibly convenient but I like the culture and atmosphere of a small bookstore. I shop at the coop non-profit downtown, and at another small bookshop that refuses to sell commercial bestsellers. There is also a small used bookshop owned by a family friend near where I live that I go to for cheap paperbacks when I want to waste time. Occasionally, I'll shop for a new popular book at a big chain. Amazon is my last resort when a book is extremely difficult to get.

Now onto why I support paper over ebooks at the moment. The big ebook resources right now are as yet unconnected to small publishing firms that promote avant-garde publishing or local Canadian writers, so I prefer not to disadvantage those publishers by favouring their competition. I occasionally read ebooks on my computer for certain open source books. I also used the internet to find poetry when I get an urge to re-read something without going through the trouble of digging through my own books.

Edit: I write in my books too, but usually only for school work, otherwise I wouldn't be able to keep track of all my thoughts on what I read.

I too prefer books. There's nothing like holding the book you've written. But ebooks are where we must surely be headed as they are more profitable for publishers.

For me it comes down readers vs. collectors

I think kindles and e-readers are prefect for the casual reader who enjoy reading and just want something to keep them busy well they wait for their bus or train or whatever.

Than there are the weirdo geeks like myself where just having digital copy isn’t good enough, oh no no. We need to track down an original print or a print with a cool variant cover or anything thing with the words limited or collectors edition written on it, cause that’s how we roll.

Oh yeah and when we do find a rare piece, an shell out X5 what it’s actually worth. We than read that book once, after which we put the book on the book self where it will NEVER TO BE TOUCHED BY HUMAN HANDS AGAIN, cause that is also how we geeks roll.

Great that we have geek guys who collect books. I would love to think, when I'm long gone, someone, somewhere, might have a copy of one of my novels tucked away in a vault or sitting proudly on a bookshelf.

Ohhhhhhhh! This is a sore spot for me!

At first I didn't mind the Kindle, I mean, I was convinced that, sure, people will buy it, but it won't get as popular because most of the book worms like me prefer paper copies. For the sake of feeling the paper in your hands, for the sake of browsing bookstores, for the sake of filling the bookshelves...But then I saw my English teacher read from a Kindle and I was like "Mr. B ...wtf? Really?" And he said that for light novels that he just wants to check out, he uses the Kindle, and also because it's hard to find many of the recently published books in Bulgaria in english, so...His explanation calmed me down a bit and i wasn;t as worried anymore.
And now im at work and there's this woman here, we've known each other for a long time, and she's kind of a book worm too. And she said she was contemplating getting a Kindle, but she isn't sure as she is conservative about these kinda things like me, you know, there's nothing better than a hard copy in your hand...BUt then she got one. And she loves it. Addicted to it. FUCK HER
WHy would you want to give up your books for this piece of shit! "It's small, it can hold all my books, I can take it with me everywhere bla bla.." And then the yask you why the world is getting more and more ignorant. And that friend says "Look at it, it's JUST like a book!" and I go "HOW is it like a book?" It's awful! It's small and inconvenient! YOu gotta switch the pages every two seconds, and your eyes hurt the third minute of reading ..

^ If you get given one for Xmas you can hand it over to meWink

I use eBooks when ever I'm just reading for fun, but I like physical books for all of my classes. This helps me remember where the information is for easier memorization.

i also enjoy the feeling and the smell that a book gives you. But kindle or other ebook reading devices are very useful when you have to read articles about some certain topics (in my case engineering). But i dont enjoy reading novels on them. I dont know how many books i have (probably less than a thousand) but dont have anymore place. ^^ My bookcases are full and in everyroom there is a small pile of books :tongue: What i need is something that holds the book and turn the pages for me. I know it sounds very lazy but that is a tool i am dreaming of :tongue:

PS: i know there are some bookholders on sale but they are most likely to keep book open on a certain page for a long time (like cooking books during cooking for example)