Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
L'assedio di Corinto (Rossini)
Awww we had a rehearsal for the performance of Purcell's "When I Am Laid In Earth" from Dildo and Anus.
It's so beautiful!
And it's the leavers concert!
And I'm going to be playing harpsichord along with all my friends who are playing in the string section and my wonderful Soprano friend!
And it'll be our last concert together!
And our beloved music teacher and his music teaching wife are leaving after having tought in the school for 29 years!

I'm so gunna cry.

Now... can someone tell me how to post a video of this piece on here?
I always get them wrong.
:mad:

princealbertofb Wrote:Well, I'm afraid I haven't heard nor heard of Diamanda Galas... Is she Greek?

American of Greek decent. Here is her site: Diamanda Galas

and some quotes from her wiki page:

Quote:Known for her expert piano as well as her distinctive, operatic voice, which has a three and a half octave range, Galás has been described as "capable of the most unnerving vocal terror" [1]. Galás often shrieks, howls, and seems to imitate glossolalia in her performances. Her works largely concentrate on the topics of suffering, despair, condemnation, injustice and loss of dignity. Critic Robert Conroy has said that she is 'unquestionably one of the greatest singers America has ever produced', and comparisons are frequently made between her and another soprano of Greek origin, Maria Callas.

Quote:she made her performance debut at the Festival d'Avignon in France in 1979, performing the lead in the opera, "Un Jour comme un autre," by composer Vinko Globokar, based upon the Amnesty International documentation of the arrest and torture of a Turkish woman for alleged treason.

Quote:Her work first garnered widespread attention with the controversial 1991 live recording of the album Plague Mass (1984 - End of the Epidemic) in the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine in New York. With it, Galás attacked the Roman Catholic Church (and society in general) for its indifference to AIDS using biblical texts.

Her singing is so emotional it is difficult to listen to. Plague Mass brings out the deepest of sorrow and I find myself bursting in tears at the passion.

I wont post any of her youtube vids as they really dont do justice (and they might scare the young ones :eek: )

fjp999 Wrote:American of Greek decent. I wont post any of her youtube vids as they really dont do justice (and they might scare the young ones :eek: )

I'm sure you mean a decent American of decent Greek descent, don't you Frank. Thank you for this information. I'd not heard of her but she sounds like a handful.

thanks for helping with my horrible spelling mistakes and your good humor - blush.

I had mentioned Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula in a PM and she does some of the vocalization in that film!

btw, loved your mp3 downloads - thanks for those.

fjp999 Wrote:thanks for helping with my horrible spelling mistakes and your good humor - blush.

I had mentioned Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula in a PM and she does some of the vocalization in that film!

btw, loved your mp3 downloads - thanks for those.

Sorry, Frank, but the play on words was just... er... too tempting! :biggrin:
glad you enjoyed the lovely MP3s therefore I should keep them coming;.. There's lots of really good music out there, including in the classical music world. What's your favourite classical music style or period, or composer(s), Frank?

princealbertofb Wrote:Sorry, Frank, but the play on words was just... er... too tempting! :biggrin:
glad you enjoyed the lovely MP3s therefore I should keep them coming;.. There's lots of really good music out there, including in the classical music world. What's your favourite classical music style or period, or composer(s), Frank?

I would have to say it is Opera by Puccini probably because that is what I am most familiar with Roflmao

fjp999 Wrote:I would have to say it is Opera by Puccini probably because that is what I am most familiar with Roflmao

lovely choice, beautiful music, wonderful composer...Confusedmile: