Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LGBT centers
Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:...most straight acting gay men are pretty much like you and flat refuse to go to the bars/clubs...
There are places such as LGBT centers.... I don't have one near me, perhaps you have one near you?

I live in a small city with a population of about 100,000 - and only about 200,000 or so in the whole county. But there is are two LGBT centers here, so I had assumed they were just about everywhere. Just the other day I found out that the one center has only been there for 2 years, and they didn't expect it to last this long. So maybe they aren't quite ubiquitious.

What are other places like. Do most of you have a place to go to meet other LGBT people where the emphasis is not on drinking, nor on hookups? What are they like? How often do they meet?

There are no LGBT centres in my city... but this is not surprising, as we have a larger than average and very racist elderly demographic... but a local activist does hold a LGBT group at a local college that is open to all. In addition, the lady that runs the aids clinic is indirectly involved in LGBT awareness and making a safe environment. She did a presentation at my school once, and her persona was one of: "This is old. I hate society. Shit has to change and no one is telling me different.".

So there aren't 'centres', but support is hidden in plain view if you look...

There were never any in my area while growing up, but now they are working on one right now, so I'm honestly not sure how they are.

Where I grew up, there was absolutely nothing.

Here, it at least exists. It just exists in a really crappy form of the worst night club I've ever come across (yes, a night club is the height of it all, even if I know that's not what you meant). I guess there's also a small PFLAG center here, but that's really about it. It's a bit odd to me considering the size of the city.

driftwood Wrote:I live in a small city with a population of about 100,000 - and only about 200,000 or so in the whole county. But there is are two LGBT centers here, so I had assumed they were just about everywhere. Just the other day I found out that the one center has only been there for 2 years, and they didn't expect it to last this long. So maybe they aren't quite ubiquitious.

What are other places like. Do most of you have a place to go to meet other LGBT people where the emphasis is not on drinking, nor on hookups? What are they like? How often do they meet?

I'm the geography guy. I really wish you hadn't brought up the specifics of the city you live in because I will not be able to sleep tonight until I can figure out what city you live in.

Evansville sounds like a likely candidate.

driftwood Wrote:So maybe they aren't quite ubiquitious

I hadn't ever heard of LGBT centers until I joined this forum.

They be non-existant in my country.

As of this moment all I know about where I live is that gay people meet each other. How, where, in what context?

Beats the hell out of me.

Arkansota Wrote:I'm the geography guy. I really wish you hadn't brought up the specifics of the city you live in because I will not be able to sleep tonight until I can figure out what city you live in.
I hope you aren't waiting for help from me. It won't be forthcoming.

Well this is distressing. Either there aren't any, or people are keeping mum. Not that I really expected there to be LGBT centers in Chile, but in the U.S. Canada, U.K. places where gay marriage is either legal or being considered. Surely there are some.

I should probably clarify about my town. There's actually only one LGBT center. The other is mainly an HIV testing center, which has actually been there about 6 or 7 years. They used to hold some LGBT functions, but I think they've backed off on that some since the other center is now filling that role.

The center we have is active with PFLAG, and other teen organizations. They work with the local Pride Committee that has a parade every year, and they were in the St. Patrick's Day parade. They have biweekly chat groups, a weekly meditation group, a weekly volunteer night, a monthly game night, and a monthly transgendered support group. They are involved in other stuff, I don't know all of it, but overall they do quite a bit.

There are two gay bars in my town. Since they're only about 2 blocks from each other, you can leave one to check the other out, and return if you choose. I spent a boring three hours in them last night. I'm supposed to wear ear plugs where I work - I never do, but I sure could have used them last night. I think they make a lot of noise in the hopes that it will generate excitement. Surprisingly enough it seems to work - most of the people appeared to be enjoying it.

There were 2 high points in the evening - the HIV testing people were there. My girlfriend and I were tested when we first got together, so I knew I was negative, but I got a new test to make it official. I did also meet a gorgeous transgendered girl who about knocked my socks off, but she looked to be in her twenties. Well I might ask her to dance next time I see her. Other than that - eye-candy.

So that was my big night in the flesh pots of the metropolis. If I'm in the mood for another boring night in a month or so, I'll go again.

Rock Hill has a PFLAG, and Winthrop is like a fucking haven for gayness. Seriously it's like the pro-gayest campus in the universe, there's something called GLoBAL (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Ally League) that is politically active and has all sorts of pro-poof events and works to gay up the university. Not aware of anything other than that.