Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LGBTspeak? Better name?
I do not blame nor condemn Andy at all for naming this "GaySpeak". After all, "Gay" is a vernacular term that supposedly represents LGBT. However, in recent years, LGBT has become more common as a term to refer to our [awesome] community and culture.

I think that LGBTspeak has a nice ring to it and it's very inclusive.

Just to be clear, Andy didn't do anything wrong. I am worried, however, that people who aren't gay may feel inadvertently excluded by the name, even though that was obviously NOT Andy's intention.

However, as a gay man, it's not up to me whether bisexual and transgender people feel excluded by the name so I'd love to hear some perspectives from those members of our community.

I agree.
The fact that the name of this forum is "gayspeak" is probably the main reason why there is an inequality between the number of men and the number of women on this forum.

How about I hire a dozen monkeys to repaint your living room brown? Like shit brown?

You kids need to stop trying to change everything all the time. It gayspeak, been gayspeak since the day it was brought online. Its my home, please stop trying to move furniture around, paint the walls and change the last damned thing on this planet which is familiar to me.

Especially since you understand the OCD thing and routines and all of that. This is my routine, this is my OCD, this is my peculiarity that I'm not terribly fond of having changed or for that matter having members saying 'Its ok, but....' Save that shit for your boyfriends if you badly need to change something, start there.

So no. LGTB speak just won't cut it. Never. Ever.

I think LGBT sounds kinda sterile and I associate it with politics to be perfectly honest.

Gayspeak works for me...it's kind catchy LOL

I actually have some other opinions about the term but it would require that I change the topic...so I won't digress

I would opt for TransBiHomochat before LGBTspeak...which has all the warmth and charm of a workers' committee meeting in Orwell's 1984.

If you want a short all-inclusive term, I'd go for "QueerChat".

Lex

I think the name is fine.

I don't think people will feel excluded or not welcome just because of the name of the forum. I'd imagine most people looking to chat would actually read on what is going on and then decide whether they want to stay or not. Not been here long but I doubt many members or any at all would exclude anybody that wanted to be here to chat or needed advice/help for things.

Names get taken a little too literal sometimes. It reminds me of "Just Us Boys" where people used that as a means to say that women shouldn't be on that board.

The biggest thing that would make people feel unwelcome is people actually being unwelcoming.

no. gayspeak is good. it's very good, in fact.

and i absolutely love it that there are mostly gay men here. (plus there is a share of bisexual guys here too). if that changed, this site would probably no longer be what it is for me. and there are plenty of online forums/sites/communities out there that include lesbians and gay guys, and transsexual people all under the same https:/. but i'm not aware of a single forum that is specifically for gay men. (you can enlighten me on this one if you know better). so if people want to talk to lesbians and transsexuals there are plenty of options out there to do that. and it's not like the latter two are excluded from participating on this forum. this site is unique and i am very happy with the way it is.

i think Andy got it right with this. some little details could be a little different but they're details. all the essential bits are exactly the way they should be. name included.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:How about I hire a dozen monkeys to repaint your living room brown? Like shit brown?

You kids need to stop trying to change everything all the time. It gayspeak, been gayspeak since the day it was brought online. Its my home, please stop trying to move furniture around, paint the walls and change the last damned thing on this planet which is familiar to me.

Especially since you understand the OCD thing and routines and all of that. This is my routine, this is my OCD, this is my peculiarity that I'm not terribly fond of having changed or for that matter having members saying 'Its ok, but....' Save that shit for your boyfriends if you badly need to change something, start there.

So no. LGTB speak just won't cut it. Never. Ever.

damn it, Bowyn, i agree 100%.

Gayspeak is fine. Rainbows mean everyone. LGBTspeak hurts my mouth trying to say.

I'm partial to PoofParler, myself.