Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LGBTspeak? Better name?
[MENTION=18962]Arkansota[/MENTION]

A couple of things.

First, if your professor was annoyed with you, annoyance is about behaviors. I used to teach, and one teacher has over 100 students most semesters, and some of them are pretty darned annoying at times. But, as has been noted in this thread, annoyance at a behavior and a full-blown dislike of a person are not the same thing. Revisit what you perceived that the professor objected to.

The LGBT renaming is simply a bad idea. Gayspeak is what it is. LGBT is a political alliance, for advocating for change, but rarely much that can accurately be termed a "community." It is a segment of the population, or more exactly, a confederation of segments. Think "coalition government" to get a comparable alliance. If the term "gayspeak" ever meant something, it probably was the speech and vernacular of gay men. Lesbians have their own lingo, as do some of the other subsets.

In the end, LGBT and the other DNA-like strands of "other" have about as much shared identity as those currently labelled as "Asian." As if. There IS no such people or ethnicity or race. "Asian" is only a term to avoid saying "Oriental" for politically corrected reasons. And, if you leave the US, it doesn't even mean "Oriental" or "East Asian." It more likely will mean Indian if you are in Europe.

So, LGBT-Speak wouldn't signify anything. And likewise, Queerspeak suffers from the use of it as an epithet, and is not universally embraced by gays or others, any more than "nigger" is embraced by Black Americans, even though often used in jest to describe one another or self.

Leave it be.

Arkansota --- after what you said about the history professor and the way you reacted to our rejection of this idea you might want to step back and make this a learning experience --- something you can use to help you overcome taking things so personally.

I've re-read all the comments and not one of them is directed at you. No one insulted you for suggesting this. If people didn't step in to combat bad ideas just think how much more the world would be screwed up.

Arkansota, when someone says something that bothers you it does not always mean you are disliked. We are basically a friendly bunch around here and you should look at this place as being somewhere that is safe to have differences. I know I was pretty direct, but I did try to temper it a little. Trust and grow. Remember that if we only said bland and nice things we would never express the best of what is human, either the highs or the lows.
I bid NO Trump!

i have a PARENTAL ADVISORY on my avatar. just saying.

You guys have pointed out that I do have a lot of growing to do but I guess I'm excited to take that journey and I'm glad that you guys are a part of it. I'm a lifelong learner- I seek out knowledge. And I'm not afraid to admit that I do not have all the facts sorted out- I'm still a young guy and I am still naive. But getting positive feedback and sometimes constructive criticism from you guys has been really helpful to me.

Arkansota Wrote:You guys have pointed out that I do have a lot of growing to do but I guess I'm excited to take that journey and I'm glad that you guys are a part of it. I'm a lifelong learner- I seek out knowledge. And I'm not afraid to admit that I do not have all the facts sorted out- I'm still a young guy and I am still naive. But getting positive feedback and sometimes constructive criticism from you guys has been really helpful to me.

^^Constructive criticism is a good thing.

Most people chose friends who agree with them and turn to those friends when they need advice even though they are probably going to agree rather than give good advice. If you go back and read about great men most of them surrounded themselves with advisors who didn't agree with them.... or didn't take advice from those who did agree.

Not a bad idea... is FaggyChat taken? Who'd feel left out from that?