Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LOOKING on HBO
Oh man, it's cancelled!!!

That really pisses me off! The first season took off kind of slow, but near the end it was starting to get good. Then this season hit, and I enjoyed every episode. They really started getting story lines rolling, and were developing/exploring the characters personalities. That's a real shame, and very disappointing.

I'm pissed they cancelled it too. I liked it, and was getting attached to the characters... but I felt like it took me forever to get to know them. Well... they're still a mystery to me. The show should have been longer!!! Most episodes were 20 minutes with 10 minutes of the creator/director talking about the show. It felt like one of those made for Youtube series.

East Wrote:Yeah...no more LOOKING...it got the two season boot on HBO but at least they gave it a fair shot....

Other shows on HBO that pissed me off when they got cancelled after two seasons...

CARNIVALE (I will never forgive them for that one)
ROME

I didn't like LOOKING as much as CARNIVALE or ROME...but it was starting to grow on me and frankly...I am happy with any show that centers around gay men (except for the horrible Will and Grace...HATED THAT SHOW)

So...I need my gay man fix...I heard there was another show about Cucumbers or Tofu or something like that...anyone?....

I will await the LOOKING Movie..it could be great...fingers crossed....
Yes, the BBC show Cucumber, Banana & Tofu is a set of different series. Cucumber is a story in installments, Banana is a set of short stories around some of the characters of Cucumber (some secondary roles) and Tofu is more of a chat show where people discuss various things about gay life and sexual life. It is very good, but very British!

Here's an article that explains why they decided to cancel Looking. Now, this is what I think... What is the economics of TV shows? How does their audience on TV (the tv audience as opposed to any other kind of audience) impact this?
Now it seems to me that TV producers might need to have some balls and do the difficult thing, which is to keep a good show going (especially when it's getting better). Some say that series tend to decline after the third season, and maybe they are right, but there have been quite a few counter examples.
Now what gets me in this article, is that the audience on TV was apparently just 300,000. Only 300,000? That is not counting the number of people (like me) who have NOT seen this on TV because of unavailability.... Of course Looking will have been viewed by many thousands more, probably millions by now, on account of it being spread on the Internet. Let's not hide our heads in the sand. Are the producers thinking of the fan base in a "large enough" fashion? I know this is probably not measurable, at this point, in terms of audience, but that's why the producers need to have balls... and so should banks, in that respect. A good analyst would probably know how much the series has affected the actual viewers of the series. In a way, by not giving it more "shelf life", they might be killing the buzz that will reap the millions more dollars that the show could generate with video, DVD, etc sales...
http://malecelebnews.com/2015/04/08/look...e-special/
[Image: looking-kev-vs-rich.png]

I actually got HBO because of this show so bit sad its cancelled. They still have Game of Thrones and Penny dreadful so I let my sub continue - for now anyway.

In the final analysis...the reason it was cancelled was because of the poor showing amongst...gay men....

HBO loves a cult audience and if LOOKING managed to catch on with a greater number of gay men...we are definitely a desired demographic....

the problem was...waaayyyy too many gay men actively hated the show and were very vocal about it. HBO..more than any other network...has their finger on the pulse and actually considers the whole picture whereas most networks look only at ratings and demographics....

I kinda figured with the ratings AND the generally unfavorable reception from so many gay men that the series would fail...

...damnit...I liked it.

I liked it too, East... So I don't know what all this was about.

I liked it too. Don't know why so many hated it.

Radbot42 Wrote:I liked it too. Don't know why so many hated it.

The major complaints from gay men: Boring....Stereotypical...not representative of gay men....not enough racial diversity....

Netflix should pick it up and make HBO regret their choice. If they can make money on something as edgy as Orange Is the New Black, surely this is mainstream by comparison. From the bit that I've seen, it is no more scandalous than the gay subplot on Days of Our Lives which I believe airs on network TV in the middle of the day. Far cry from the commotion when Northern Exposure showed two guys in a bed, not even doing anything.