Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LandLORDs
For those who are renting or have in the past,
have you ever had to deal with a landlord
who takes the "lord" part far too seriously?

One that was/is highly irrational, confrontational, or petty?

I pay to live in your house.

That's it!

Nowhere in my lease does it say that I must kneel down
and pray to you.

It's sooooooo LittleManSyndrome.com

Ugh......

My landlord & lady are quite okay, they work in shop underneath me so are easy to talk to, only complaint i do have is any repair that needs doing, they dont send a professional just some cowboys, example - my bathroom has a leak in roof when it rains thats been "repaired" 3 times and still leaks, my boiler was faulty, the guy fixed it but now looks a mess and all exposed, also if theres any money problems then the landlady is on me like a fat man on cake. But generally they leave me alone, thankfully.

tavi Wrote:My landlord & lady are quite okay, they work in shop underneath me so are easy to talk to, only complaint i do have is any repair that needs doing, they dont send a professional just some cowboys, example - my bathroom has a leak in roof when it rains thats been "repaired" 3 times and still leaks, my boiler was faulty, the guy fixed it but now looks a mess and all exposed, also if theres any money problems then the landlady is on me like a fat man on cake. But generally they leave me alone, thankfully.

Tavi: Your landlord has a legal obligation to have your boiler serviced once a year by a professional, certified gas fitter who has to provide you with a safety certificate. That is, providing your boiler is gas and not electric.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:Tavi: Your landlord has a legal obligation to have your boiler serviced once a year by a professional, certified gas fitter who has to provide you with a safety certificate. That is, providing your boiler is gas and not electric.

Yes londoner it is gas, I have the cerificate and it does work okay, only before it was encased in white plastic, he removed all that leaving all the copper pipping exposed, its an eyesore and before there was a button now there's a tiny switch to turn it on that you can only do with a fingernail, I imagine some people would find it very difficult

the boiler does stop working occasionally, I have to turn these two knobs on the Copper pipes repeatedly until water trickles out and the boiler kicks into life again, it doesn't seem right but its the only boiler I've ever had to deal with so maybe it is right

In the USA most people dont have landlords unless they are renting or paying on a piece of private property. Most "landlords" are management staff from some big corporation.

The "landlords" in the apartments I live in have changed over three or four times since Ive been here.
And the current ones are the ONLY ones to have cared anything about this place or what goes on in it.

I get along great with my landlord considering I've only talked to him about 5 times in the 10 years I've rented from him. My rent check is always on time, and I don't bother him with petty stuff. If something goes wrong above my skill level I will call him, otherwise I fix it myself. Obviously, he never stops by to look at the property although I know he drives by occasionally as he has quite a bit of commercial rental properties near me and I live close to a major traffic artery.

I would say no, he does not take the 'lord' part seriously.

In the house that I am living in we use to rent and our landlord was really nice and eventually sold us this house for almost nothing because he wanted to get rid of it.

I've had 2 landlords unethical in the extreme. Another was very bigoted but she was more of a glorified secretary rather than the actual owner and after challenged on legal grounds which would likely get her butt fired to avoid a lawsuit she didn't try to bully us again (though she did come after us indirectly).

Others, however, have been pleasant to rent from...though none were especially helpful, the best I've experienced is polite, fair, and professional behavior.