Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Language and Cultural Barriers
So the Queen is curious again (don't you "oh gosh" me! Lol)

So being where I'm from and we all know I love my country :p, I've always wondered if someone outside my culture would find me appealing, basing it on that alone.

Because me personally, I don't see language or culture as a barrier, but I see alot of people talking about not getting with this person or the other because they do this or that on account of their culture or because they just plain ol' couldn't understand them.

My close friend married and had a kid with a Jamaican and while we share a very similar culture and speak similarly, we do not completely understand every other Carribean speaking person, despite popular belief, but even so, my friend and her husband are annoyingly in love lol!

And I know people view people as people, but say would an Alaskan and St.Lucian go out? If they loved each other yes, but what would be the odds? And what if in every way they were perfect for each other, except culture or language? Would that hold you back?

Would you date an African from Massai or Kenya if you were from Sweden?

Would you date an Aborigine from Australia if you were feom Peru?

Would you date an Irish person if you were from Guyana?

I realize common ground would be thin, but would it be enough to warrant a dissmisal solely on that basis?

I find such relationships mentally stimulating, but I do expect the other (be it dating or platonic) to make an attempt to make allowances for me as I do the other (that is, no freaking out because of an unintended slight or not realizing something obvious, BOTH sides will inevitably do it, and it can be an opportunity to hate or educate, your choice, and understand there are just going to be a few nagging details neither are going to ever see eye to eye on).

But they're not for everyone. Plenty of Americans don't like other Americans based on the most trivial of things. I expect that's pretty much true everywhere. Someone commented to me once about how the Soviet Union tried to assimilate various minority ethnic groups and break down their old loyalties but when the Soviet Union collapsed, the "integrated" peoples were still mostly married to each other despite claiming to not care about that, and that was true even in cities.

But sometimes natural enemies can become friends in a strange land. For example, I've heard of Muslims & Greek Orthodox who'd be hostile in their native lands be friendly when they meet in America because they recognize themselves as part of the same world in a strange world together. Speaking of which one told me of how 2 tomcats HATED each other, but after they moved hundreds of miles away and finally let them outside they walked out side by side watching each other's backs and never did return to fighting each other as much as they used to.

And I have an experience with that, too (and serves as an example of how trivial differences are a big friggin deal to some people). TN (Tennessee) & TX (Texas) have a lot of antipathy for each other for trivial reasons that have to do with cooking styles (I think I recall hearing TN uses too much pork when they should use beef and TN says Texas needs to learn there's more to ranching than steers), music (Texas country vs. Nashville), but the root difference seems to be that both states lay claim to Davy Crockett (a famous politician in TN and a Texas martyr who died at the Alamo when overrun by Mexican forces, and the lady from TN I'm about to mention yelled over this, "Texas killed him!") and both use his name a lot for towns, counties, etc, and they both take offense over this (TN feels he was "stolen" and killed by Texas while TX believe Crockett CHOSE to live in TX instead of where he was accidentally born). I expect the food & music are just excuses to continue the rivalry and fueled that when tourists from one state are much more likely to be treated rudely in the other, which just keeps the cycle of antipathy going.

So imagine my surprise when the only white neighbor I have worth knowing was a Pentecostal from TN, and she was very happy I moved in to the same CA (California) neighborhood she lived in. I could see why, we're both white blondes in a neighborhood of mostly black & Hispanic and get shunned a lot, and many people make assumptions about us based on our respective Southern accents. It was nice to know someone who must feel as out of place at times as I do, and who had a similar background in the South. I don't think there's any way she would accept me as a lesbian so we quickly adopted a "don't ask, don't tell" and she only invited me to her church a couple of times. It did mean we never got to know each other really well (and she did throw a fit over Crockett once), but we did enjoy each other's superficial company, and we sympathized with each other a lot. But there's no doubt in my mind that had I met her in TN instead of CA then she'd have had nothing to do with me and may have even tried to force me to move away (preferably "back to Texas"). But meeting in California changed the rules. Of course if there'd been plenty of others from TN in the neighborhood (or even Alabama, etc) then I expect she'd have still had no use for me in CA, either.

My BF comes from a different culture and English is his second language.

Some people can handle this situation better than others.

I'm very open minded and flexible so it's easier for me, but I must admit that his culture has imposed some "structure" that makes him more rigid than me and I find that frustrating.

So it's all very personal.

If the two personalities are compatible, then cultural differences are no big deal. But if the personalities are very different then I imagine language and culture differences may just sink the whole boat.

I'm the stranger here (Italian in London) and honestly I prefer the idea of dating people from other country. It's the same with the friends, my first new friend in London was a Spanish guy.
I am fascinated by some physical characteristics typical of people from certain places in the world.
I'm so curious and so attracted from different cultures and cultural differences, I need to improve my english and after that I will restart with japanese. XD
It's a limit, I need to surpass my limits, and I don't have a lazy mind.

You would think in a place such as the Southern states of the USA, you wouldnt see such things...simply because of the prejudiced mentality a lot of people are claimed to have here.

But its the opposite.

Ive seen American and Jamaican married.
Ive seen Swedish and Japanese married.
Ive seen Canadian and Mexican married.
Ive seen Spanish and American married.
Ive seen French and American married.

And thats just here in Texas!

Hell, Ive even seen rednecks and Yankees married!!! LOL

And although I "go" for the cowboy type here in Texas, I also like Italian, Canadian, Russian, Australian, and British.
My favorite European man is Scottish though. I hear that accent, and I get all sorts of horny!!! LMAO
(not to forget the Kilts!!)

I am not attracted to most Asian men, hmm Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese type Asian - that is more due to the height requirements for this ride than culture.:tongue: I'm pretty certain that if, say, a tall Chinese man walked into my life that we meshed with on an individual level (character/personality) his heritage/culture would be pretty much meaningless to me.

I would be really hard pressed to pick a culture I prefer most of all. I find them all to be about equal over all. While differences in cultures is somewhat fascinating to me, I do not place much emphasis on culture/heritage nor for that matter race.

I have been with different races/cultural backgrounds in relationships the 'cultural differences' didn't really matter much to me.

Language is pretty important to me. I believe there is a need for a couple to be able to communicate. If they don't share a language in common, then communication is pretty difficult. I would hate to have an interpreter around all the time - imagine the embarrassment of having an interpreter in the bedroom. :eek:

I would assume that if you met someone from a different culture either they have moved into your culture or you have moved into theirs - thus there is a desire to 'mesh' with the local culture already. Its not like aliens are going to abduct you, and throw you into a place you didn't want to be, or where they didn't want to be.

I dont think it should matter any, as cultures, I sometimes think we all have our good points and bad points, as individuals, I think once you take strip away so many levels, where it counts there's little difference and hopefully can connect on some level. And the best way to learn about another culture, rather than staring at buildings ",

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:I am not attracted to most Asian men, hmm Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese type Asian - that is more due to the height requirements for this ride than culture.:tongue: I'm pretty certain that if, say, a tall Chinese man walked into my life that we meshed with on an individual level (character/personality) his heritage/culture would be pretty much meaningless to me.

I would be really hard pressed to pick a culture I prefer most of all. I find them all to be about equal over all. While differences in cultures is somewhat fascinating to me, I do not place much emphasis on culture/heritage nor for that matter race.

I have been with different races/cultural backgrounds in relationships the 'cultural differences' didn't really matter much to me.

Language is pretty important to me. I believe there is a need for a couple to be able to communicate. If they don't share a language in common, then communication is pretty difficult. I would hate to have an interpreter around all the time - imagine the embarrassment of having an interpreter in the bedroom. :eek:

I would assume that if you met someone from a different culture either they have moved into your culture or you have moved into theirs - thus there is a desire to 'mesh' with the local culture already. Its not like aliens are going to abduct you, and throw you into a place you didn't want to be, or where they didn't want to be.

I usually dont go for Asian guys either, but....

I was at a birthday party yesterday and one of the birthday persons friends was an Asian guy.
We talked for a while at some point, and I really liked his personality. I mean REALLY liked his personality. All of a sudden, he became very cute.

I can be vain and shallow sometimes, and find physically attractive guys "hot".
But nothing beats a good personality and working brains!
Unfortunately for me, as usual, he preferred girls.
Poor guy.

Pity he's straight....Cry

Asian guys (and girls) in are hot!
Megumiiiii where are uuuu...? XD