Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawks a-mercy!!!
If I have ever offered a point of view that anyone has found helpful I apologise in advance to those people. Maybe I've just been here too long and my days in this place are numbered, but ...

<flameon>My tongue is in shreds from having bitten it so hard to keep silent these past weeks. I have observed one or two newcomers (appropriately promoted to the status of "Insane Poster") draw out childlike hope in many and I have fallen into the trap of affording believers some kind of respect for their utterly unsubstantiated and unprovable convictions. My inner two year-old is now responding with a blazing tantrum. Evangelism is not a service to one's fellow men, it is insulting and designed to perpetuate fear, guilt and subservience. Quoting isolated sentences from a far from universally accepted book of fables as if they are somehow facts is demeaning to us all. If any of you consider your intellect is a gift from your god, bloody well use it! </flameon>

Dammit, here are some of the fun vids I have wanted to post, but was too polite to do so:

I am a little embarrassed that these films are by someone who calls himself "The Thinking Atheist" (as if thinking were the prerogative of the unbeliever), but they are short, well made, fun and save me from having to think too hard.

With love to the many friends I have made on here.

I haven't really wanted to get involved in all the crap that's been going on here recently. Which has been hard to do as i want to try and help clear things up and calm everyone down. But really, i doubt my words would help the situation, as many have already tried.

The Thinking Atheist's videos have always been well made.Confusedmile:
I could easily fill a thread with video's like these, but this site isn't for such, and i understand everyone has their personal beliefs on this site.

We haven't had much luck with the strongly religious here. Perhaps because it tends to come hand in hand with trying to spread their religion.
Maybe this will change someday?

I'm sorry to hear all this has rekindled some negative feelings in ya Marshlander. :frown:
Though it is completely understandable.
Bighug
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

the Homosexual agenda is hurt by big government and yes big religion.

My tongue is in shreds from having bitten it so hard to keep silent these past weeks. I have observed one or two newcomers (appropriately promoted to the status of "Insane Poster") draw out childlike hope in many and I have fallen into the trap of affording believers some kind of respect for their utterly unsubstantiated and unprovable convictions. My inner two year-old is now responding with a blazing tantrum. Evangelism is not a service to one's fellow men, it is insulting and designed to perpetuate fear, guilt and subservience. Quoting isolated sentences from a far from universally accepted book of fables as if they are somehow facts is demeaning to us all. If any of you consider your intellect is a gift from your god, bloody well use it!

Marsh...THANK YOU for saying that

...I even flirted with the respect thingy...didn't take but the idea presented itself on more than one occasion before I rejected it....and I didn't keep silent. I did try though...does that count?:biggrin:

Marsh...I have a HUGE CRUSH on Bill Maher...have for years...and I don't know if you watch him or not but in the spirit of this thread and for a few things you have said about Mormon in the past I will share this clip...

...and my favorite....

Thanks, East. I watched those films a few days ago as it happens. The one I have resisted posting is the Thinking Atheist one on "Magic Mormon Underwear". Strangely my temple garments did not protect me, as a nineteen year-old, from the attentions of a much older man in a public convenience. It took me till I was twenty-five to shed (and shred) them.

marshlander Wrote:Thanks, East. I watched those films a few days ago as it happens. The one I have resisted posting is the Thinking Atheist one on "Magic Mormon Underwear". Strangely my temple garments did not protect me, as a nineteen year-old, from the attentions of a much older man in a public convenience. It took me till I was twenty-five to shed (and shred) them.

Now I have to see that one...Magic Mormon Underwear sounds like a must see clip. I had Mormon Lessons twice all the way through. My inner slut is the one who agreed to the first set of lessons:biggrin:...I was trying to seduce Elder Sexy so while I was in high school he and his friend came into my bedroom to give me lessons regularly. It all ended one day when they took me to church and then had a youth camp lined up for me....they didn't understand...no Elder Sexy...no interest.

My second set of lessons came while I was in Boot Camp in the navy. On Sunday they all came marching by...the different churches...and you joined them and marched away to church. Those of us that stayed behind...there were maybe six of us...we had to scrub the toilets and sinks and bathroom floors while the others were at church. F*ck that! I marched away with the Mormons the following week:biggrin:

East Wrote:Now I have to see that one...Magic Mormon Underwear sounds like a must see clip. ...
Promise me you won't get your hopes up. Mormon temple garments are a lot less sexy than Edwardian swim wear. :eek:

Quote: ... Those of us that stayed behind...there were maybe six of us...we had to scrub the toilets and sinks and bathroom floors while the others were at church. F*ck that! I marched away with the Mormons the following week:biggrin:
... And who wouldn't Rofl

Talk of the Nation had an interesting and relevant story today:

Christians Divided Over Science . . .
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer...09-22-2011