Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning French
princealbertofb Wrote:Do you also use the word PLUME for BED in Canada?

Rareboy Wrote:I don't certainly.....

So there is diffirent between French in France and French in Canada ? :eek:

shirogane Wrote:So there is diffirent between French in France and French in Canada ? :eek:

just like the difference between English in murrica and england

trywait Wrote:just like the difference between English in murrica and england

The different between US and UK I know is vocabulary. There is no different in grammar ?

The differences in Canada and France tend also to be about vocabulary.

princealbertofb Wrote:The differences in Canada and France tend also to be about vocabulary.

And in pronunciation; I have young Canadian cousins, their lips speak heavier than the French in France. My aunt told me it was because of many civilizations that occupied Canada, affecting its French. Likewise, Arabic spoken in Lebanon and Syria was affected by the Ottoman occupation, so they use many words that can be found in the Turkish language as well.

BlueStar Wrote:And in pronunciation; I have young Canadian cousins, their lips speak heavier than the French in France. My aunt told me it was because of many civilizations that occupied Canada, affecting its French. Likewise, Arabic spoken in Lebanon and Syria was affected by the Ottoman occupation, so they use many words that can be found in the Turkish language as well.

We have 3 kind of pronunciation of French (native, canadian and me ? Supergrin), how nice :crying-and-sorry-li.

shirogane Wrote:We have 3 kind of pronunciation of French (native, canadian and me ? Supergrin), how nice :crying-and-sorry-li.

Ce n'est pas si compliqué!! (it's not that difficult)
Also you can use "compliqué" (compliquée for feminine) and "difficile" for the same meaning "difficult" :biggrin:
Anyway, don't worry about diverse pronunciations. Just learn the basics of French and practice Wink

BlueStar Wrote:And in pronunciation; I have young Canadian cousins, their lips speak heavier than the French in France. My aunt told me it was because of many civilizations that occupied Canada, affecting its French. Likewise, Arabic spoken in Lebanon and Syria was affected by the Ottoman occupation, so they use many words that can be found in the Turkish language as well.
Quite right, Blue Star, the accents are quite different. That of Canadians comes from the regions of France that emigra Erted to Quebec, ie the Beaucerons, for example, people from the region of Chartres. At the time, France had many different local accents and patois. With the advent of television and centralisation of powers and the advent of National Education, French gradually became more uniform in France, which doesn't mean that local accents and vocabulary don't still exist. We still identify an Alsatian accent, a Northern accent, a Southern accent, a Swiss accent and a Belgian one (and many others) and some local differences in vocabulary.

What happened with accent and vocabulary is that the sources were those of the centuries when the immigrants moved to the New World (17th and 18th). Similarly the English used in America, the Spanish used in America, the Portuguese in usage in Brazil, like the French used in America has developed along different paths from the root languages in Europe.
For example in British English the verb GET no longer has GOTTEN for its past participle, as it has developed into the same form as its past form; GOT. Americans still use the old form GOTTEN.

American English has also assimilated many words from all the cultures that emigrated to their land. That's what accounts for the inclusion of words of French, Italian, German, Yiddish, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, etc...

English is a very plastic language which accepts changes easily. British English will have been influenced by the native languages of the lands of their colonies and former colonies.

Quebequois French, assimilated to its region of origin in France, the Beauce, with its specificities of lexis and accent, was spoken in Acadia (the name of the new region in North America, a.k.a. Nouvelle France) and Acadians then also moving to Louisiana (when it was still under French mandate) became the Cajuns (a deformation of A-cadians). Their vocabulary remains marked by words that were used in the 17th and 18 centuries in Beauce.
CHAR in Québec is VOITURE for a Frenchman (a car in English). CHAR for a Frenchman is just a charriot or cart.

Differences in Quebequois French now also include many words of English... CHUM for friend or mate for example, a word not used in France ... and also many newly coined words in French where the French of France have adopted a common English word these days : SHOPPING (used in France) is MAGASINAGE in Québec.

The Quebequois French accent has no doubt also been influenced by the neighbouring or local use of English. Americans see (and hear) the British English accent as quaint, even though there are many accents in the UK, the one they mostly refer to is the received pronunciation or the queen's English, the accent mostly prevailing in the south of England. The American accent for English was strongly influenced by the accents of the West country, and Ireland. The southern drawl is probably a remnant of the accents spoken by the first settlers from some part of England or the British Isles or another. Despite the settlement of Scots as immigrants in the New World, it is strange that their accent does not transpire much in American English accents. This is probably due to an insufficient number of speakers; their influence won't have been particularly strong.

I'm not sure what explains the shift in the stress of a word but surely a difference in education and local usage.
LaboraTOry in American English, LaBOratory in British English
AdverTISEment in American English, AdVERtisement in British English

shirogane Wrote:We have 3 kind of pronunciation of French (native, canadian and me ? Supergrin), how nice :crying-and-sorry-li.

Lol, Shirogane... Tu as raison (sûrement) = You are right (surely).

princealbertofb Wrote:Lol, Shirogane... Tu as raison (sûrement) = You are right (surely).

Yeah, everything is gonna be all right.......................if I don't have to take English and medical class at the same time Black-eye. But I have high morale now which is nice 1blue1