Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leonard Nimoy dies at 83
Live Long and Prosper. Sad

"It is Margaret you mourn for. "

I'm thankful to have lived through the era of hope and idealism that the space race engendered. As kids, we believed naively that anything was possible and that the stars were within our reach. They are, as of now or in the near future, not. But, just as in the mythical savings account balance in I Remember Mama, it is very important for children to believe.

We also believed that anyone could become president: now, we fear it may be true.

Star Trek helped us dream and aspire. Thank you, Mr. Nimoy, for representing so many of us who align closer to the stoics, yet dream and are brave. And thank you for interpreting so well the angst and turmoil some of us "half-breeds" feel inside.

Go gentle into that good night.

Pyromancer Wrote:Hard to believe he was 83, he seemed so ageless on screen...one of my morbid co-workers just said media celebrities always die in threes, so she's waiting for the other shoe(s) to drop...creepy...

Ahh, I wouldn't let it bother you. Superstitions that are harmless might well be embraced as cultural markers and idiosyncratic charm of a subgroup or population. Think just how many people tacitly endorse the don't-let-the-groom-see-the-bride-before-the-wedding-in-her-gown superstition. It inconveniences millions of wedding guests every year as they wait for photos to be taken AFTER the service. Yet, it has a certain quaintness.

But, if your co-worker is keeping a voodoo doll and "waiting" for the third to die, then feel free to be creeped out.

live long and prosper spock. rip mr. leonard nimoy

Laugh
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

I too was sorry to hear Leonard had passed away, but he remains in our minds as the very special semi Vulcan. He created a role and will be legendary for that. Always. Rest in peace, Leonard.

Pyromancer Wrote:Hard to believe he was 83, he seemed so ageless on screen...one of my morbid co-workers just said media celebrities always die in threes, so she's waiting for the other shoe(s) to drop...creepy...
Amazing that someone of his generation managed to make it to 83 while being a heavy smoker, in fact. He must have had quite a strong constitution.