Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Less Depression for Out & Proud Than Hets
I figured some would like to see this...

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013...erosexuals

Quote:A new study has found that gay and bisexual men are less likely to be depressed and have psychological problems than heterosexual men.

Often seen as one of the defining moments of a gay, lesbian or bisexual person's life, "coming out of the closet" may have tangible health benefits, and "out" gay people may have less anxiety and stress than heterosexuals, according to a new study, published in the journal Psychosomatic Medicine, by researchers at the University of Montreal.

Quote:Juster says that previous studies have shown gay and bisexual men are more likely to work out and eat a healthy diet than heterosexual men, which could be one of the reasons they were less often depressed. The act of discussing their sexuality with friends and family may also play a role, he suggests.

"Something about coming out of the closet might make them more resilient—if you go through a major, stressful event like that you have to develop coping strategies that you might be able to use in the future," he says. "We also saw body mass index and inflammation were lower in gay and bisexual men, which fits with the idea that they're taking better care of their bodies than heterosexual men."

Though it may make sense that "out" LGBT people are less likely to be stressed, previous studies have shown that the period immediately after a LGBT person reveals their sexuality to family and friends can also be dangerous, as suicide and depression rates increase.

was this taken from wipeouthomophobia on facebook hehe i did read this study they posted on there and it is really good it is a sign that there is a signifiance change in the outlook of todays society and nowadays no matter where u are in the world the days of homosexual being wrong are dead... Being gay is ok Smile

Id have to agree with there study's conclusions.
But then again it really does depend where the person is based, circle of friends all plays a major role in how ones brain operates.
I love the statement "We also saw body mass index and inflammation were lower in gay and bisexual men, which fits with the idea that they're taking better care of their bodies than heterosexual men."
Its bloody well hard being a gay man as we know what where attracted to body wise and we try ever so hard to copy that body image to ourselves not to mention we live in a ever judgemental community, so no wonder where in better shape than our hetro counter parts who can let themselves go once they have a partner etc.

It's us women , we drive the hetro-men into depression and suicidal thoughts.Rolleyes( kidding)

It just goes to show you , that self acceptance and not going against nature is the way to go.

Apparently, being gay is better than okay, we're hotter, happier, and more badass. Let's become the ruling class!

I have to agree about the health benefits of coming out. Having just done it, I do feel liberated. There is a lot less social pressure now that I'm no longer worrying about what people think of me.

"A new study has found that gay and bisexual men are less likely to be depressed and have psychological problems than heterosexual men".

I'm not convinced. :frown:

I must admit...while I like the conclusion, I struggle to believe it, nor does the Journal, and the organisation that print it, seem particularly reputable.