Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lest we forget what its like for so many kids now days....
MikeW Wrote:Even if religion weren't apart of the picture, even if it were only a matter of intolerance or homophobia, so long as a child isn't being physically abused there is little authorities can do to intervene.

I don't know where you're getting your information on that, but at least here in New Mexico that is untrue. Emotional abuse is considered abuse by our Children, Youth, and Families Department. They absolutely can take action to protect a minor from emotional abuse.

In the video we have evidence of physical abuse as well.

In New Mexico if you're a victim of physical, sexual, or emotional abuse, anytime 24/7 you can dial #SAFE on your cell phone or 1 855 333 SAFE (7233).

MikeW Wrote:I agree it is a "valid tactic," but there is a huge difference between the civil rights movement during the 1960s and the kind of situation we're dealing with here.

First, the civil rights issue was predominantly a legal issue. Blacks weren't allowed the same rights as whites, solely because they were black. This movement built over a period of a decade into a vast social movement that required people risking arrest and, in some cases, death. It culminated in massive protests including the nation's capital. This garnered a lot of media attention for years and had a very charismatic leader in the form of MLK.

The situation we're confronted with in the OP is a FAMILY issue. Now, in this specific instance, Daniel is an adult. He may have been living at home and his family's attitude may indeed be unfair, even unjust, but he is beyond the age of minority. They *can* legally request he leave their home for any reason.

The point I'm making is that even in instances where the gay child is being emotionally abused by a family, so long as the abuse is not physical, so long as he or she is fed, clothed and etc., there is little authorities can do. This is a very different legal situation than the civil rights movement.

It is similar in regard to prejudice. Again, I'm not saying it is a waste of time -- on a societal level -- to point up this kind of bigotry for what it is. They *should* be ashamed and their attitudes challenged on a societal level. But when it gets into matters of faith and religion we're in a whole other ball park legally from racial prejudice. Freedom of religion is as much apart of our constitution as is the concept of free speech. We may not like what they believe, rightly feel it is despicable and worse, destructive, but legally there is nothing that can be done there. Even if religion weren't apart of the picture, even if it were only a matter of intolerance or homophobia, so long as a child isn't being physically abused there is little authorities can do to intervene. I don't see that changing on a legal level.

That said, I do think it is *already* changing on a societal level. The outpouring of support for Daniel is evidence of this. I think in general kids feel safer coming out now than they did even 10 or 20 years ago. Obviously this isn't the case for all gay children/teens.

Well yes but homophobic attitudes and practices, much like with racism, are not gone once you have everyone observing a minimum of legal requirements against discrimination. I agree that there is not a "legal" remedy for racist or homophobic attitudes or mindsets. But you can socially shame them into obscurity, and that's largely what we did. Racism didn't go away with the passage of the Civil Rights Act. It was socially shunned into hiding where it either dies out or, at the very least, can do a lot less harm.

The majority of Americans are still very homophobic. You can talk all day about the progress we've made (and YES, we've made progress!), but tbh, if you live in a city or community that is open minded and not homophobic, then you are very fortunate and part of the minority. The legal progress we've made doesn't really reflect the collective American attitude about homosexuality. Neither did civil rights laws. People were and are still racist, but the laws DO help change things, and at the very least, help protect us.

I agree that SHAME is a powerful catalyst. I wonder if anyone from my family has seen that video and what they think about it. If someone compares them to the video, they would probably deny it, but know inside that they are not only like that family, but worse. IDK since I haven't talked to them in years.

Also, some people think a certain way just because it's popular thought and they have such little self identity that they will change their tune as soon as everyone else does. They don't even know their own religion well enough to discern what is really Christian thought and what is just dogma based on fear and hatred.