Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk about accents and dialects.
Lilitu Wrote:I really like the kansai dialect! A Japanese exchange teacher came from that region and when we spoke to her, her Japanese always sounded so friendly and nice.

I lived in Osaka for a year so I learnt the Osaka-ban, it is called the 'harsh' Japanese and you can hear why when you listen to someone from Tokyo or even the NHK News.

dfiant Wrote:I lived in Osaka for a year so I learnt the Osaka-ban, it is called the 'harsh' Japanese and you can hear why when you listen to someone from Tokyo or even the NHK News.

I can hear how it's the 'harsh' one in comparison to the Tokyo dialect, but I don't think it's so much harsh as it is flamboyant or loud. It's not like the difference between South Korean and the north korean we see on TV sometimes, where that crazy north korean newswoman speaks like she's very cross with you. I think it's like how Cantonese sounds in comparison to other Chinese languages, it's the fun one that sassy people speak xP.

I also love the naturally comic accent that Kath and Kim speak.
As for the most attractive I'd actually go for the two that I said were hard to understand: Scotland/North Britain, and the really genial and kind-sounding South USA ones.

Well I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm just plain crazy about a Cajun accent! Not sure what it is, but when I hear a guy speaking with that accent I just swoon. I'm also big into Gaelic accents as well. In particular Welsh and Scottish. Sean Connery was my first big man crush (yeah I know he's a right pompous ass and a dirty old man but back in his prime...). And the president of the company I work for is from Scotland so it's really hard to focus on what he's saying when he makes a presentation! Hehehe

Cajun is hard to understand. The few I do encounter up here really make me listen to understand what they are saying.

I like the brogue accents too. Always sound "manly" to me for some reason.

Over here you have a variety of accent, dialects .
Mine sounds more British than anything else.

This link will give you an idea of most of them.

I'm thinkin' I'm glad I live in Texas where there are no accents, and everywhere else they talk funny!

^^ Y'all jsut got big heads in Texas, and mighty big egos too. Oh and y'all do talk funny. :tongue:

I have a natural weakness for certain accents Tongue I love norther UK accents, love american accents, french accent is nice too ^^ male netherlands accent is rather nice... erm any others i can think of XD

I love talking to my american friends on skype because i get to hear their accent and apparently they like mine, even though my voice is pretty screwed up as it is.

I also love how different words have different meanings.

Pants in the UK = underwear, Pants in the US = trousers stuff like that, always make a political debate with my US friends over such things Tongue

My father has an inimitable accent, growing up as a young kid in Tehran, Iran in an Armenian household , where Armenian was spoken at home (also as a child he was sent to local public school while his 6 siblings attended private Armenian school because in his words he is "the black sheep of the family"), he left his family and Iran at 16 for Australia (which is where he learned English), he then left to go to university in Manchester, England and went to the U.S. after he graduated where he met my mother and she had me. So he speaks with an Eastern European/Persion/Aussie/British accent with an emphasis on the British/Australian part because that's where he learned to speak English and went to school.

As for me, in kindergarten I spoke with British accent with hints of Australian from both my father and watching the BBC with my mother (who's an Anglophile). According to the book "Divided by a Common Language", British and Aussie English are relatively similar whereas American English is very different.
Kindergarten was one of 3 years I spent living in suburban New Jersey, which I hated, they were very mean and bothered me about my accent and forced me to take ESL (English as a second language) classes, so I somehow taught myself how to speak with no accent at all AKA "Broadcaster's English"
Today I still speak with zero accent. Though if I'm too anxious or too comfortable, the British accent creeps back in (when I type mmy computer changes all my British spelling into American English, ie changing mum to mom)
I can also do a good British accent.

Note, they say Armenian has two "dialects" Eastern and Western, this is a lie they are completely different.
The type I speak "Eastern" is the type actually spoken in Armenia (it has a lot of Farsi [Persian] loan words) whereas Western Armenian has a lot of Turkish in it and is the type spoken by most Armenian-Americans.

Lilitu Wrote:I also love the naturally comic accent that Kath and Kim speak.
Kath and Kim speak 'Bogan' which is a term given for people who generally live in the western suburbs of cities on the Australian Eastern seaboard Wink