Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk about the lisp.
Okay, I'm sure we have all heard the sterotypical gay lisp at one point or another.

Here are my questions:

Where did it come from?

Is it a concious habit?

Are flamboyent and feminine types the only types of homosexual to have a lisp?

I guess I have always been confused about the gay lisp (and gay accent).:confused:

Personally i've found that quite a large proportion of homosexuals speak with the "gay" lisp, too many atleast to be a coincidence. I don't think much works been done it, but I could find a couple of explanations on the net:

Femenine males seem to be more likely to hang around with women and other femenine guys. As such they may mimick (either conciously or unconciously) the "gay accent". Rogers et al did an investigation on this and concluded that:

"...people can usually differentiate gay- and straight-sounding voices based on certain phonetic patterns. "We have identified a number of phonetic characteristics that seem to make a man’s voice sound gay," says Rogers. Their best hunch so far is that some gay men may be subconsciously imitating certain female speech patterns and if this is true, "We want to know how men acquire this way of speaking."

Alternativeley if scanning experiemnts are to be belived (http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/j...psychology)
then gay males and hetrosexual females have similar shaped brains which may create similar speech patterns in select cases.

What a brilliant (and brave) question Wink about which I have nothing useful to say except to hope that the young man (probably in his thirties, so he was young to me) who sat in front of me on the train from London to Norfolk just now and who was travelling with his parents for a few days holiday in one of our more picturesque villages has a nice week.

It's a LONG time since I heard a voice quite that strident Rolleyes . Btw, I thought he was very kind to his disabled mother.

Back on topic, I look forward to reading what you all have to say.

Just occasionally (very occasionally), I have heard "the voice" (sorry if that sounds a bit Bene Gesserit) from straight men too.

The reason I thought about this question is because one of my roommates has a brother who is gay. He has a little lisp, but perhaps not noticeable enough to determine he's gay. But he brought two friends over who both spoke with a heavy lisp and accent.

I don't have a lisp or accent when I speak naturally, so its always strange why it happens.

Thanks Andy123 for the info. It makes sense that some gay men immitate female intricities. But it still stupifies me how it occured and has become the signature stereotype of gay men. Perhaps its their way of declaring their sexuality without bluntly yelling out "I am gay!"

I don't know. A while back a guy got a job where I work. He has the lisp, walks like a girl too, but he's straight, and had a girlfriend. He even got caught at work with her in a comprimising position. Even more recently we got another guy with the lisp, and he is gay.

I love the lisp! Naturally, I don't speak with one. I remember my partner had it. He spoke with one a lot back then and I loved it. He stopped speaking with one for some reason. Then he claimed he only had it when he was wearing a retainer. Oh and I think he spoke with one when he was in a certain mood. He wasn't really flamboyant either. Well... he was to a certain extent, but he felt guilty about it at some point.

i now about it it was it hard to talking someties. i cant say all the words like.what is it gay lisp mean. i not newn a bout it.

A gay lisp, first time I have ever heard of this.:confused:

RolleyesBen, I think they are pulling your leg.

LOL i speak with the lisp sometimes, when I'm with my girl friends.

I don't have the "gay lisp". Nor does it bother me when i hear someone with it......unless its emphasised on purpose by the indervidual for "laughs".
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so