Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linguistic Homogenisation and Death
I read an article a couple of weeks ago saying that English is fast becoming the 'Global Language'. It, over the years, grew to overtake French and is becoming the language 'Everyone' speaks.

In another example, in Chinese-speaking areas, Mandarin is becoming the dominant tongue of many people who used to speak all sort of different languages. Even in places like Taiwan and Hong Kong, where mandarin isn't legally encouraged by the government, the influence of Mandarin is becoming stronger.

Furthermore, dying languages aren't treated with the respect that they deserve. Maori in New Zealand is always treated very trivially, as if it were not an official language and just some silly game.

Personally I detest this because I see it as slow deaths of cultures; I think languages are the basis of cultures. But I see some benefit, in that the world is unifying and is more able to understand each other.

But is it really worth losing such rich and long-preserved heritage for the sake of ease of progress?

I agree, its really tragic to see languages, and as a result, cultures, being lost. As much as its the fault of colonialism both directly and indirectly in many parts of the world, the real responsibility for keeping the language and traditions alive at this point falls on the youth of whichever culture we're talking about.

The balance has to be found where people are taking pride in their pasts and have a desire to perserve it and pass it down, but where they can also communicate, do buisness, and otherwise function with the culture of the dominant language.

I think its so sad that the Sami language is slowly dying out here in Sweden also Sad I find those people very interesting to be honnest, they're like the Indians (Native Americans) of the nordics Smile
Sometimes you need a bit of chaos in your life to be able to shrug off pitiful disdain about something meaningless.

Agreed, many languages are not even taught any longer, to lose the history and influnce they had is really unfortunate, James
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

I agree it is very tragic , immigration adds to the melding pot ,which is great .
Unfortunately though culture always dies.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I heard one of the 27 aboriginal language dialects.
So much of this culture is dying , it is so very sad.

i dont really care at all. If there was a new universal language that everyone would have to know but you knew that if you learned it then you would be able to communicate with everyone then I would definitely learn it.

I dont think language is really important for a culture to be honest. What's important is the traditions and such.

I am coming to the understanding that life is constantly changing. Evolving if you will. And with their Those learned behaviors follow suit.Language being one of those learned behaviors. We have witnessed down through history the evolution of man. As the need arose the change would take place. Some advances quick while others slowly. Language found the need to change as well. Language is a behavior so intertwined with the human psyche all it could do. It must change.

Language didn't come to us complete, nouns, verb , etc. It started with maybe a grunt and a jester and out of necessity developed into what we have today. The languages you mentioned didn't come complete, came out of an older form. I'm sure there where ones saddened to see the old language die, and that is understandable. We should be saddened when the old die, but we should also rejoice in the new birth. not to replace the old but to further it's legacy.

Could you substantiate why you think traditions would take precedence over language in culture?
I believe that languages, since they are main way of communicating forms the different ways of thinking and traditions of cultures.
(Big Grin yay another opinion, some healthy debate going on ^^)

I would question whether the growth of English as a second or third language internationally is equivalent to the loss of other languages. I think since the 60s and 70s we've actually had more institutional support, in the West though, of minority languages. And languages, under the right circumstances, can be remarkably resilient, Catalan in Spain is a good example of a language that has even survived deliberate attempts to wipe it out. If people hold a language to be an important part of their cultural identity, they will protect it.

there has been thousands of languages, religions and cultures that have gotten us to this point good or bad.