Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Local Cuisine
What food is local to where you live that other places just don't have?

I'm from Maine so lobster is what people think of, but I hate seafood.

So...

The Italian Sandwich, you can get these at just about any local sandwich shop, but they are made famous by a place called Amatos

Ham, Cheese, Sour Pickle, Tomato, Onion, Green Pepper, and Olives(only I omit these) on a one of a kind roll which could be described a sandwich sized hot dog bun, with Olive Oil Salt and Pepper

[Image: amatos-italian-sandwich.jpg]

oh and speaking of hot dogs, we eat Red hot Dogs.

[Image: web.jpg]

in frankfurter rolls,not hot dog buns

[Image: hot-dog-rolls----top-sliced.jpg]

How about you guys?

All we have is canned Tuna and Spam down here (Big Grin)..... I prefer my Spam smothered in imitation cheese sauce...

Tasty Treats from Hell,
Jim
We Have Elvis !!

Restaurant cooks here get sick of making crabcakes.

There is always Smithfield Ham in tiny biscuits. Stupid simple but a verified knockout at a cocktail party with good bourbon.
I bid NO Trump!

[Image: haring_hollandse_nieuwe_vanaf_per_2_stuk...Mwg7KAkwCQ]

salted raw herring, dellicious!

gerald Wrote:[Image: Strogoff_Hollandse_haring.jpg]

salted raw herring, dellicious!
fixed it for you... you can't have the google search that = the image address, not to mention all those letters after the ".jpg" inside the IMG tag.

This has been called the "typical Jersey breakfast"

bagel, Taylor ham (pork roll), and cheese. Usually served with egg as well, but I like mine without. Usually served with spk (salt, pepper, ketchup)

[Image: thumb_600.jpg?1344796265]
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

Farily local, but irrevocably influenced by French stuff and to some extent shared with our trans-andean neighbours...

I'm pretty sure you'd find something like this somewhere else eventually, as I think would happen with pretty much every food here.

Anywaayyyy

Tomaticán (basically a tomato stew) Peel dice and crush several ripe tomatos (feel free to enact catharsis on the crushing part), add salt and sugar for a while.

Julienne onions, grinded meat and spices are sautéd (however the hell that is spelled) in the meantimes, then you add the tomato "sauce" give maybe 20-30 min, then add corn kernels and basil, another 10 min and it's done. Do check your sugar and salt while cooking and add if needed or else tomatio is one sour and acid motherfucker to taste.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

[Image: tomatican.jpg]

As if it wasn't enough starch with the corn, some dudes throw in potatoes too...smh
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

jimcrackcorn Wrote:All we have is canned Tuna and Spam down here (Big Grin)..... I prefer my Spam smothered in imitation cheese sauce...

Tasty Treats from Hell,
Jim

Im a little bit north of Jim, up in the sticks, so my tastes might not be as high falutin as his. LOL Watermelon

I'm going to say the most popular food around here is either fried catfish or fried shrimp, with the usual sides such as cheese grits, slaw, hush puppies, fried okra, etc.

The only food I know of that's truly unique to this area is West Indes Salad.
http://www.food.com/recipe/mr-bayleys-we...alad-30415