Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Local cuisine where you live
New zealand cuisine is sort of... meh to be honest. Like we have nice ingredients but I don't think we put them to good use...

I do remember a really nice food I had when I was at a marae it was Maori fried bread which was quite delicious.

and its not regional (kind of is we're the biggest polynesian city in the world) but cook islands raw fish salad is so delicious. It's like ceviche but more creamy and tangy and coconut and it's very good.

I guess there's also whitebait fritters which is pretty auckland-y, but honestly I think we try to do what the cantonese do and eat the pure flavour but we don't do it properly and everything ends up tasting kind of 'sao' which is a concept in chinese cuisine which roughly translates to "dirty-tasting" or "urine-y"

Edit: you know what, actually I take that back because our baking and sweets are very good. Pavlova (not australian, it's proven so shut up) and lamingtons are both really good Kiwi foods.

I live on a small island in the Pacific Northwest of the USofA. Wild caught seafood is the very best, and salmon is KING. I recently discovered roasting salmon on an alder wood plank in the oven, and I am very happy! Muscles, oysters, clams, and in summer the Dungeness crab! For you vegetarians, I have made a delicious seaweed stew as well.

The last time I went camping on the outer coast with friends we ate a stew of fish, muscles & seaweed every night. Mmmmmmm...

[Image: salmon-cedar.jpg]