Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London Pride
Have a great day whoever is going

Invasion

Star Twister Wrote:Have a great day whoever is going

Invasion

When is it? Tomorrow??? Or should I say, later today? Hope you have nice weather.

remember to add pics!!!

princealbertofb Wrote:When is it? Tomorrow??? Or should I say, later today? Hope you have nice weather.

If it's today, Sunday, hope you're having better weather than we are. It's been pouring all morning, and probably part of the night... The temperature has fallen to 15° again. It was nice and warm yesterday... This summer's going to be a little strange. Rolleyes

fjp999 Wrote:remember to add pics!!!

Yes, a few pics would be nice, Star... Confusedmile:

Yeah waiting for pics too, pity i didnt go didnt know it was this week

Ummm I want to apologise if I offend anyone?
I am straight-acting i.e. not many people can tell I'm gay except for the fact I happen to have a boyfriend to whom I'm attached via the waist :-D

Anyway, I went off to London Saturday to meet some friends off the net. Friends I've known for some 5 years, some of whom are lesbian/gay and some who are straight. We went for lunch in Leicester Square and wandered round to Trafalgar Square (not my choice) to see what was going on.

An old guy around 70? in a sailor's outfit... except he had replaced trousers with Y fronts. OK, good for him for having the courage to do something like that... but everything I saw yesterday went completely and utterly against whatever point gay pride is trying to get across.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't gay pride all about being accepted in society as a normal person who just so happens to be romantically and sexually attracted to the same sex, but is still a normal person?

Instead you see guys dressing up as fairies, sailors, snow white's evil step-mother (no lie) and various other ridiculous costumes... and to me, it's all a big fake show. You can't tell me that the person they were, is a fairy? No, they just want attention.

You're probably all gonna come down on me like a ton of bricks and I really do apologise if I've offended anyone, this is just how I see it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I see gay pride as fake. Doesn't mean that I am not proud of being gay however.

There was also some guy on stage trying to split the crowd into gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered. What the hell is that all about? Have we not had enough of being labelled up and segregated in everyday society, now you get segregated in a festival that is trying to abolish the very thing that they're doing?? I'm sorry but to me it doesn't matter if you are gay, bi, straight or any other label. You are an individual person. Yes, a person. Your label is your DNA inside your cells. The unique code that makes you who you are. That is ALL that matters. In my opinion Confusedmile:

Smurlos Wrote:Ummm I want to apologise if I offend anyone?... etc ...
I'm sorry but to me it doesn't matter if you are gay, bi, straight or any other label. You are an individual person. Yes, a person. Your label is your DNA inside your cells. The unique code that makes you who you are. That is ALL that matters. In my opinion Confusedmile:
Interesting message, Smurlos. I didn't go to Pride this year, although I would have liked to (but I don't turn down work lightly!). Last year's Pride in London was the first and only time I've ever attended a Pride celebration.

My experience was obviously very different from yours. Perhaps because I spend a lot of time making music in carnival processions the idea of people dressing in funny outfits for a party didn't strike me as strange. To be honest I can't even remember what I saw that might have matched what disturbed you. What I do remember most vividly though was taking part in the march from Baker Street to Trafalgar Square. It was magic Confusedmile: For the first time in my life I was able to be me with a lot of people who were just like me. I didn't need to dress up, nor did many of the people in the march, in the crowds that applauded from the behind the barriers or, tbh, even in Trafalgar Square. Maybe everyone was dressed up, but it just didn't register? I remember the amazing feeling of being with people like me, of processing with a purpose and with pride ... no need to apologise for who we love. I remember the speeches and music, unfortunately mostly mediocre, but one or two significantly moving. I remember marvelling that the teachers' union I used to belong to all those years ago (when I was a teacher) had a stall in the Square and were distributing literature to support lgbt teachers and pupils. I wouldn't have guessed it if I hadn't seen it. I remember the pleasure of spending the day with Sabrina, who used to contribute here and wishing that Albert were able to experience it with me. I remember the delight of marching in the near company of Ben Summerskill and the supporters of Stonewall who have done so much to make such a difference and, as we neared Trafalgar Square seeing Christian fundies confined to one cage while the equally hateful National Front supporters were confined to another (how times have changed - we were the ones to be caged in previous ages). As we entered the square there was Peter Tatchell on yet another one man campaign calling for marriage equality. It would, of course be shallow of me to suggest that my biggest excitement might have been passing within a couple of metres of John Barrowman as he watched the marchers arrive. I wanted to go and say hello, but there was a respectful distance around him as people seemed to sense that he might appreciate not being pestered.

Sure there was mad stuff happening too, but there was a lot more that seemed more significant. Has it really changed so much in the past year?

Smurlos....

I kinda agree with you......

In the 60's the whole point of PRIDE was that we as a gay man and woman stop being persecuted for being gay, hence the riots in America......

The trouble is nowadays is that people and and I don't mean to be rude, the younger generation just don't get what the Pride celebration ( that's what it's meant to be) actually stands for.

PA i didn't go, I was just wishing all that went a Happy Pride....

I hear people saying at Brighton Pride that they don't like to see men and women with their willy/fanny and tits/arses hanging out and men having sex in the bushes.....

Pride here has grown into more of a family day out with the kids joining in, which I think is great for integration

I get a little embarrassed about it as a gay man

Brighton Pride is the largest free festival in Europe and I love the celebration of the day, I am going to a number of pride events this as I do every year, and I love the diversity of it all

xxxx