Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London: culture capital of Europe
princealbertofb Wrote:Can they still be king or queen without their heads?

lol [MENTION=1766]princealbertofb[/MENTION]

meridannight Wrote:Pardon my French, but England needs a set of balls (i.e. a king) for a change.

@2222222222222222222Meridannight, and they should be getting one after Charles passes. Charles, bless his li'l peapickin' heart, just strikes me as taking after Ferdinand the Bull in the story's earlier pages. Such a nice man, but a bit quiet.
I bid NO Trump!

[MENTION=18457]LONDONER[/MENTION], now don't get me wrong. I am not taking all this too seriously. I really would like to visit Londiniumof old and London of the present day. The city of old might allow me to claim some use of my four years of Latin. [MENTION=1766]princealbertofb[/MENTION], that allows me to say that I have indeed studied another language. I also -studied-Spanish but it did not help. And don't ask me about Greek, except that I will say that I have a few obscenities in modern Greek that would not be useful in the classical Greek class that I left with as much dignity as I could muster and with apologies to John Calvin.

Now Europe is gitted with many cultural capitals. London is certainly at least one of them. For our size, the USA should wish to have as many as Europe, already! [Oy vey, indeed, Native Son, you should be so sure!] Problem is Boise and Albuquerque don't count and Milwaukee has Jeffrey Dahmer as a blot on its record.

All I can really contribute to the traffic discussion is that the Boston circumferential Route 128 is the only place where I have ever seen a traffic sign to "Squeeze Left" and known a resident to owh=n a 30-year-old car and park it out of town to keep the dents down and avoid paying garage fees that would have been equivalent to the rent for a decent apartment in most other cities (not New York.)

On my personal list of cities to whose culture I have always wished to be exposed, in no particular order: London, Prague, Cracow, Mumbai, Amsterdam, Bucharest, Budapest, Cairo, Johannisberg, Edinburg, Dublin, Haarlem, Toronto, more of New York City and Chicago than I have seen, Paris, Athens and many, many more. Thank heaven for the internet and travel books and all the other miracles of the wide world. I'll never see these for reasons of poverty, but I can look them up and relish their wonders.

So for now, princely one, ubicloacamestne. That is the closest I can come to where is the toilet in Latin.
I bid NO Trump!

I just spent two days in Boston for the first time. It's a beautiful city and the history is amazing, pretty good nightlife too. I really love all the juxtaposition of old vs new in their skyline and architecture. But the traffic was insane, my friend who was driving was not having fun. And their subway was tragic.

But I'm biased, an infrastructure snob, and totally homesick.