Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London: culture capital of Europe
London offers best cultural experience of any city in the world

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/london...00199.html
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I respectfully disagree. Paris is the cultural capital in Europe, in my opinion.

I think London ranks so high among the American tourists for the simple reason of English language. They can go to the theater, concerts, museums there, and everything is in English. Whereas in Paris, understanding of French is critical for the same activities. You can't even buy books in Paris, unless you speak French. (And those booksellers on the quai on the Seine are one of the reasons to visit the city. They have many precious gems to offer). And, let's be honest, Americans have a terrible reputation for speaking foreign languages or even wanting to speak them.

In Paris, everything seems associated with culture. From the physical surroundings and landmarks, to the way people dress, to the food sold in the corner shop, to the weather and small moments of life you're having which reflect back on lines you read in Proust, or Guibert, (or some other author): you're thoroughly immersed in culture every breath and moment of your time there. That is one of the things so amazing about Paris.

I'm sure London has its charms, but I am more closely connected to Paris.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

And the French have a terrible reputation dealing with anyone who does not speak French.

Londoner, I know they are trying hard on behalf of the fish & chips sellers and the pubs, but the article is blatant promotion. Travel is simply a matter of preference if not for business and the nice people behind the article want us to prefer London.

For those of you who may have experience in such, which has the worse traffic? Rome? Paris? Madrid? Boston? Washington, D. C., or London?
I bid NO Trump!

NYC: cultural capital of the world

It is the sheer variety of cultural offerings that make it come out on top. There is literally something for everyone's taste. Not so long ago Google published the fact that more people logged in to London for culture than any other city in Europe.

I love a good cat fight.

meridannight Wrote:I respectfully disagree. Paris is the cultural capital in Europe, in my opinion.

I'm sure London has its charms, but I am more closely connected to Paris.

Fortunately we live in a free society (for the moment) and everyone has a right to their personal opinion. I just quoted the article without expressing my personal opinion.. Paris I agree, has many charms even with my limited French.

NativeSon Wrote:I love a good cat fight.

There's no cat fight, just people exercising their right to free speech.

Long live Londinium!! Queen Elizabeth beats every beheaded king/queen for all that I care ..

The Angles/Saxons embrace their Latin heritage the strongest among the Germanic peoples and that is the truth.