Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London rally against Russia’s anti-gay Olympics 5th Feb 2014
It looks like the first arrest of someone holding up a rainbow flag may have taken place. The Olympic sponsors are still refusing to speak out against Russian clampdown on LGBT freedom of expression and are turning a blind eye and a deaf ear to violence against LGBT people.

Coca Cola, Macdonalds, Visa and all the other Olympic Partners as well as the IOC must face up to their responsibilities to uphold Principle 6 of the Olympic Charter beyond their vague and condescending platitudes about being being "equal-opportunity employers".

London rally against Russia’s anti-gay Olympics

Urge Olympic sponsors to speak out against Russian homophobia

Join the Sochi Winter Olympics protest:

Wednesday 5 February, 6-7pm
Downing Street, Whitehall, London SW1A 2AA.
Nearest tubes Charing Cross & Westminster.

WEAR RED FOR LOVE!

Organised by All Out. Supported by the Peter Tatchell Foundation and others.

This is part of a Global Speak Out that is taking place on 5 February in cities around the world.

gosh let us know how it goes!

I wonder how athletes will get involved in this... that's probably what will happen, and what will be giving the mos timpact.

The NZ speed skater Blake Skjellerup, who is openly gay, has publicly stated he will be wearing a rainbow pin in protest. The USOC (United States Olympic Committee) has sent inquiries asking for assurances that athletes and fans will not be targeted for harassment based on the law in question. The response has been that the law will be enforced during the games. Of the US delegation, Billie Jean King and Caitlin Cahow have been included as a not so subtle political statement. King is a tennis star, openly gay, and will be taking part in the opening ceremony. Cahow is an ice hockey player, also gay, and will be taking part in the closing ceremony.

There are quite likely a lot of people going who are closeted of course. Skjellerup didn't come out publicly until after the 2010 games, as before that time he was concerned with losing sponsors. As of right now it's hard to say how this will all play out. I for one will be paying close attention to the news.

Not sure there's something like that going on here..mmm..

I would be there wearing red....

heck, doesn't mean anything, but I'll be wearing read on the 5th anyway

I wonder how the UN will play out things if the law is enforced and gay athletes start to get arrested..

seriously?

I'm sick and tired of UN founding countries going against what UN was created for in the first place
really? Iran executes people on account of sexual orientation or faith and it still hasn't beeen kicked out? ..oh wait....oil....and nukes.....right..

Russia pulls this kind of crap and no one thinks it's a good idea to not throw the games there?

what a f*cked up world..

I will wear red for the boy I watched get tortured. The same shirt I'm wearing in this picture <---- actually.

I so hope that a large proportion of openly gay athletes win. Is it too much to hope for that?

Sadly i cant see a rally having any effect on lgbt folk in russia, who cannot rally themselves but i live in hope.

Wollyhats not everybody wants to hear about a boy being tortured, why would you put yourself through watching something like that, im just asking cause they keep showing it on the news and commercials, its wrong to show that without warning.

Long live London, greatest city in the world and my favorite holiday destination!

partis Wrote:Sadly i cant see a rally having any effect on lgbt folk in russia, who cannot rally themselves but i live in hope ...
I don't see that as a reason for sitting on my hands. What would you propose as a way of supporting brothers and sisters who face danger every time they gather? This rally is part of a campaign to get the sponsors of the Olympics to speak out. The important thing in a campaign is to keep the issues live. People in Russia (and other places) who are affected by draconian laws need to know they have not been forgotten or ignored by the rest of the world. The message of support does get back to many of them. It is because so many people have expressed appreciation for this sort of solidarity that I think these kinds of actions are worthwhile.

The last time I was outside Downing Street on the Russian gay propaganda law issue with a large group of noisy people in a sea of red one of the coalition MPs came over to speak to us to say the PM had heard us and was definitely going to raise the issue with President Putin at an upcoming meeting. Water wears away the stone and I believe the campaign is a just one. Putin won't be there forever, although the Russian Orthodox Church might be ... but that's another issue.

the sad thing is that no protests no matter how many will ever be reported in Russia, it will just get blocked and I don't expect weak leaders like Cameron to do anything at all,

as for big business lol, where money is to be made then an any thought of human rights go out the window, would we ever see Coca Cola etc boycotting the Olympics when they have millions locked in sponsorship and advertising - never happen

Its up to the Russians to decide which laws they have in their land.

Yeah I know, it hurts the whole LGBT world's feelings that Russia has a no 'flaunt in' policy. Clearly its what Russia (the People) want. IF not they will revote either their representatives out of office or do another Red October type thing.

As pointed out, any protest from the rest of the world most likely isn't going to reach the Russian people - and it is their minds that need to be made up.

Its like all the Republicans who are now shifting to the Gay Marriage is OK side, because there is a majority of American people who want it or thinks it is no big deal.