Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
San Francisco 1906 (Historical footage restored)
[SIZE="4"]Interesting to see the apparent lack of traffic regulations. The cars seem to weave left and right in front of the streetcar indiscriminately and the horse drawn carriages seem to make use of the streetcar rails.

[/SIZE]
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I like that people had the foresight to film things like this. And I don't know about San Francisco, but it wasn't until the 1920s that NYC got traffic lights. The streets were basically just chaos.

Emiliano Wrote:I like that people had the foresight to film things like this. And I don't know about San Francisco, but it wasn't until the 1920s that NYC got traffic lights. The streets were basically just chaos.

Interesting [MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION] but in the future (if there is a future) how are we going to sort the dross from the gold when today all the world and his wife photos/videos just about everything with smartphones these days?
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:Interesting [MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION] but in the future (if there is a future) how are we going to sort the dross from the gold when today all the world and his wife photos/videos just about everything with smartphones these days?

In many cases, I find smart phones and the need to document every aspect of ones life annoying and narcissistic. But if I try to imagine the perspective of a future anthropologist or even history buff, it's pretty cool to think about just how much documentation this time period has. And I have a feeling that future generations may have an interest in this time period. As long as the technology survives or is preserved and we don't like lose access to electronics from an emp attack or something, all those personal videos, no matter how mundane they may seem now, could provide a lot of valuable info on what life was like at the turn of the 21st century.