Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking Back - Pope Francis and Homosexuality: Am I being cynical?
It's been one week since Pope Francis came out in support of homosexuality, which is funny because it's been precisely one week since it was utterly meaningless. The church still doesn't support it, and he only finds it okay if you're actively seeking the lord.

I remember I was peeing when my friend burst in and told me the "good" news. I was having a good one too...curses. He interrupted me for that nonsense?

I had an article for context, but I can't post them yet Sad Visit the articles section at wearepeople2

this all comes from a cult religion that cant figure what to do with a condom.
given they are the state religion of the third world they could do more rather than funnel money.

The popes who sit in modern times sit on an uneasy throne.

Understand that what is first and foremost important to The Church is tradition. That worked really well for oh 1800 years, then you hit the 20th century and the shit hits the fan and tradition is being blown to smithereens in the secular world. The Love Revolution, women's rights, the break down of the traditional family unit (no not the nuclear family unit, the older unit). WWII did a huge number on the church, sparking reform that would later become Vatican II.

For a pope to say 'its ok to be gay' he pretty much has to invalidate the last 2000 years of tradition while saying that previous popes were indeed fallible, and that the Bible is wrong and God lied.

With every new thing that the church has accepted, it has taken a lot of reinterpretation of scripture to affect this 'new acceptance'. Further Doctrine has to be written to 'save face' of previous popes saying they were not wrong but were right, but this new idea is right as well.

The Church hates to apologize, it was centuries AFTER the inquisition that Pope John II apologized for that little misunderstanding. The church is big, and it is slow, it has its own inertia to over come in all matters.

You missed out by a few decades on the serious changes that took place in the middle of the 20th century. Vatican II http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_II

Vatican I took place in 1868, Vatican II took place in 1962. If this is a new trend then expect Vatican III in 2055.

To have a pope even suggest that being gay is ok in so much as half a sense is a big, huge, ginormous deal. Just like the admitting that there are cases where condoms should be used was a big, massive, titanic move.

These are setting precedences for future allowances and slow change in the Church Doctrine. In future other popes (I wouldn't suspect this one will make another comment) will build on what he said.

You are talking about an organization that measures time in centuries and millenniums. It is big, it is massive, it has a lot of inertia behind it, and libraries full of doctrine that has to be reevaluated, reinterpreted to meet any new idea or suggestion that the secular world comes up with.

Unless there is a massive shift of the laity who put pressure on priests, bishops, cardinals who in turn put pressure on the Vatican and the Holy See - don't expect the Catholic Church to say 'Its ok to be gay' for a very long time.

Never know, there may be a Vatican III sooner than 2055, in which case all bets are off - new protocols, sweeping reform may include the wearing of condoms and acceptance of homosexuality completely.

Bowyn's post is pretty accurate.

To be honest, the churches official position is a lot more accepting than most. I find it a shame most clergy does not follow it's official position.(Or perhaps I should say interpret it as liberally as I)
Seems Pope Francis does, which is a plus.

I'll reiterate what I said in a previous thread on this topic:

The leader of a cult that harbors,
protects,
and gives pedophiles worldwide immunity
from legal prosecution when raping children
has no place in my mind or heart,
in respect to giving a shit
about what comes out of his mouth.

To answer your question:

No, you're not being cynical.

Dreamer Wrote:
I'll reiterate what I said in a previous thread on this topic:

The leader of a cult that harbors,
protects,
and gives pedophiles worldwide immunity
from legal prosecution when raping children
has no place in my mind or heart,
in respect to giving a shit
about what comes out of his mouth.

To answer your question:

No, you're not being cynical.

I'm sorry, but generalizing isn't pretty, not every churchman is like that and rather than the pope protectinf them is mostly the organims itself, hard to believe there are still God's men that actually do help everyone in their community regardless of sexual orientation and that are not abussing kids.

Ryocchi Wrote:I'm sorry, but generalizing isn't pretty, not every churchman is like that

I never said every catholic churchman is like that,
but that the cult he's associated with does participate in actively protecting and harboring pedophiles.