Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for help
Hi there everyone,
I am looking for assistance from all the lovely people who would like to help me. Please read the full post before deciding.

I am in the process of writing a fictional story about a lesbian girl and her life. The idea is that if I can get even one homophobic idiot to read it, realise the harm they could be doing and change there ways then its a win.
The problem I have is that I am straight, so I don't know the ins and outs of everything only what I have heard or read and that is why I'm looking for help from the people who count.

What I'm looking for is any stories from you life that might give me inspiration for something in my book or even just anything you think should be in a book like this. I don't care what point in your life it was from whether you were 5 or 50 Smile. Also I'm looking for both good and bad stories. I not looking to steal your life and put it into a book, I'm writing a work of fiction, I will not just copy what you wrote, I am just looking for inspiration.

Feel free to comment on this thread or PM me. And thank you in advance for anybody willing to help.

(If you frequent other similar forums you may see my message there as well, I may post in a few s not sure what kind of response to expect)

Forgot to subscribe to my own thread what a dunce Catsmiley

I am unsure of any lesbian influence for you, but there is a book for gay men called "Man to Man" I believe it might have some interesting things to read. I don't remember the author.

It's been a while since I have read it, but I believe there is a really good love story in there about two farm boys who were together all of their lives.

You might find some things in there that can relate to a female character.

Hope that helps.

MisterTinkles Wrote:I am unsure of any lesbian influence for you, but there is a book for gay men called "Man to Man" I believe it might have some interesting things to read. I don't remember the author.

It's been a while since I have read it, but I believe there is a really good love story in there about two farm boys who were together all of their lives.

You might find some things in there that can relate to a female character.

Hope that helps.

Thanks i'll have a look into that, I'd be glad to hear of any stories with regards to men as well, as I know some relate to the community as a whole and also I'm sure there with be some gay men starring in my story too Smile

Mark Twain — 'Write what you know.'

<>-<>

Edit Addition: Let me tell you how many will look at this. A straight woman cannot possibly relate to a lesbian woman's issues as a lesbian.

It is somewhat offensive when a person who hasn't been there, done that attempts to tell others what its like to be ____________(fill in the blank).

You most likely would not like for me to write about what life is like as a straight woman married in the 21st century. I am male, I can't possibly conceive what its like to be a woman straight or gay in any century.

While we appreciate your offer to help, please don't. Those homophobes will see whatever you write as a work of 'fiction' and its made worse when they discover that you are straight thus talking our your proverbial arse.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Mark Twain — 'Write what you know.'

<>-<>

Edit Addition: Let me tell you how many will look at this. A straight woman cannot possibly relate to a lesbian woman's issues as a lesbian.

It is somewhat offensive when a person who hasn't been there, done that attempts to tell others what its like to be ____________(fill in the blank).

You most likely would not like for me to write about what life is like as a straight woman married in the 21st century. I am male, I can't possibly conceive what its like to be a woman straight or gay in any century.

While we appreciate your offer to help, please don't. Those homophobes will see whatever you write as a work of 'fiction' and its made worse when they discover that you are straight thus talking our your proverbial arse.

i'm fairly certain that "write what you know" doesn't mean "only write about things that you have experienced from a first hand perspective" and actually means "if you're going to write about anything , research it and make sure you know about the subject in as much detail as possible."

jk rowling wasn't a teenage boy wizard fighting evil wizards.
stephen king wasn't a telekinetic teenage girl , or a dog with rabies.
and the many , many other authors who have written about things that they knew but didn't personally experience.

swriter is clearly researching her writing , so she is writing what she knows. or will know.

well I can help.

heres a story of mine.

last october I was walking to a straight male friends place and we were talking and he was pointing out girls and asking if I was still gay, well anyway, my answer to that is obvious. well we get to his place and he asked me to stay the night (I had no idea what was gonna take place later) anyway, we were laying his room that night and we ended up messing around and had sex. well it was good at this point. but he wanted everything quiet so his dad didnt hear and asked me to never tell anyone. but it got worst in the morning. He started spitting homophobic comments my way and was hurting me beyond imagine-ability. I was in distraught and felt betrayed.

Hey! I would love to help you! Anyways, I wrote a narrative on the first time when I came out, and I hope maybe it'll help you. Oh and P.M. me if you want any more help Big Grin

http://gayspeak.com/showthread.php?t=30808

You said you're a writer. Use your imagination.

freelandia Wrote:You said you're a writer. Use your imagination.

writers like actors, MUST do their research before they start working (writing).