Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks vs. Personality
Though once on another messageboard I recall a woman who was describing the type of men she hated and loved, and the really interesting part to me was that when she described really horrid men she'd illustrate with a pic of a man not particularly good looking (famous but not known for their good looks, and no doubt wouldn't have appreciated being used for that) and also men she found attractive (kind, charitable, protective, etc) with the pic of a hottie. I REALLY wanted to quote her but switch the pix she'd chosen around to see if the horrid men were still so horrid and good men still so good once their looks were inversed. But I didn't as she was such a neurotic that freaked out over the slightest challenge (which she considered personal attacks) to her worldview (and yet despite this kept putting her views out there).

Even when I was a child I outgrew the good people look pretty fallacy...possibly because I read so much scifi with aliens in them, I don't know. Or maybe it was my mom who many obviously admired as beautiful and was a former model but I saw as a cruel, sadistic bitch. Whatever the case, when I was 10 I wrote a fic where I retold a fairytale of Baba Yaga in which the "most beautiful" woman who escaped Baba Yaga (and her aunt) to marry the czar was herself actually an evil sorceress while Baba Yaga (old, ugly crone) was the champion of the people (this might've been inspired somewhat by my wanting Granny to rescue me from Mom...). Thing was even the adults I showed it to said my version made a lot more sense out of the fairytale. (ETA: it was this one in case you're curious, and the traditional version I heard was that while the czar did like her sewing, he was made helpless by her beauty and had to instantly marry her, which comes off as magic to me.)

I'm hoping the Harry Potter movies might nudge kids that way, too (since villains could be really hot looking while heroes very plain looking, at least for movie stars).

I was unable to read Ayn Rand fiction, or even listen to it on tape while doing chores, and just one of the reasons why was how perfect the heroes were (physically as well as mentally) and how horrid the villains (as ugly on the outside as the inside) as it not only struck me as immature drivel but destroyed the believability for me (if the villains are that pathetic then they wouldn't be running the world, and who cares when the heroes overcome them, it's as admirable as ripping candy from the hands of a spoiled brat no one likes, no one is going to be impressed even if they approve, similar to if St. George was to defeat the iguana instead of the dragon).

Btw, you might like the book (not to be confused with the musical which doesn't include the same elements that I'm recommending the book for) Wicked.

SolemnBoy Wrote:I'm a freak :'(

No way, we're all a little different. And being around runaways I learned a lot about what many johns liked, and well...let's just say it's not easy for me to see someone as a freak now. To me freaks are like "shoe man" who would buy kids new shoes but only after he made him or her (preferred boys, but would occasionally get a girl as long as she was androgynous enough) watch as he masturbated in his old shoe. Another strange part is that it was ALWAYS the same side (I can't recall if he preferred the right or left shoe), and he'd throw the other shoe away and keep the one he used. And there was freakier than that but I don't want to sicken people.

So after having been around that I can't see you as a freak for stray thought processes like that. :redface: :tongue:

In my personal opinion. I wouldn`t date someone i don`t find good looking. But they also will have to have a good personality. Short but to the point.

SolemnBoy Wrote:Does anyone else ever just happen to see random strangers that you KNOW most people would find ugly but you find them sort of handsome and it's just odd that you'd even think as such I mean what if they knew that you basically just condemned them in the eyes of the mainstream but gave them a tiny piece of your appreciation for compensation and OH GOD suddenly they're even more handsome because most people probably would think otherwise what the hell is wrong with you why can't you be attracted to normal things like normal people...

Every day of my life!!!

But then again, I do find "normal" to be such a dirty, filthy word.

MisterTinkles Wrote:Every day of my life!!!

Thank God I'm normal! c:

Or we're both demented...

It's 15% looks 85% personality

SolemnBoy Wrote:Does anyone else ever just happen to see random strangers that you KNOW most people would find ugly but you find them sort of handsome and it's just odd that you'd even think as such I mean what if they knew that you basically just condemned them in the eyes of the mainstream but gave them a tiny piece of your appreciation for compensation and OH GOD suddenly they're even more handsome because most people probably would think otherwise what the hell is wrong with you why can't you be attracted to normal things like normal people...

Kind of. I think a really geeky looking guy looks cute, but, you know, that is more so how he would dress. There are other things too after that, but I don't feel like sharing them.

MisterTinkles Wrote:Why meddle with perfection????

Perverted-smiley

Im-blushing-smiley

SolemnBoy Wrote:we're both demented...

You sweet talker you!!! **giggle**

SolemnBoy Wrote:I'm a freak :'(

Its a bird!
Its a plane!
NO!

Its SUPER FREAK!!!

Yep...It happens alot while I'm on the bus....and then I end up using so many not-so-subtle stares LOL