Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lose Weight/Excercise
SilverBullet Wrote:Im just glad you did it Tongue, you were talking about possibly backing out. That took a tonne of everything to accomplish, from courage to willpower and endurance! I don't think I could have did the swimming at all :S, I still have this phobia like something will eat me... Especially when the water temperature changes from cold to warm (and no its not me! Tongue) or when bubbles come up... At that moment I want nothing more than to leave the water!

*Im completely aware the odds of a freshwater fish swallowing a fully grown male human are basically null, hence the irrational fear*

just imageing tentacles comeing up and around you, about to drag you down into the darkness O_O ... yes yes fresh water I know XD.

Anyways good job man!

I could have at many points backed out and had many reasons, too expensive, or whatever. I mean at my heaviest I was almost 250 lbs, kind of surreal to know that, I certainly didn't feel that way. Looking back at when I started getting on a treadmill last November I really did come a long way. I'm not a fast runner and actually quite a bit slower than a few years ago and if I did nothing but run I might get back to my previous pace. Honestly if it weren't for a couple people, friends I probably wouldn't have done anything at all. I could have very easily slipped into depression back in the winter. I guess I got the right motivation from the right people at the right time.

Lake Blue Ridge is actually very clear and at 7 AM it's not all that bright out. I think just getting used to being in a pool for starters will help you out. I am more worried about snakes and such being in the water...or a jet ski mowing me over in the lake. That's why you should wear a bright colored swim cap and a buoy...and with other people.

I never did post my results... One of the slower swimmers, and the swim to bike transition I got hung up on what I was doing and people had their bikes like right on top of mine lol... That's one thing that eats up the clock is trying to get socks on wet feet... Some people don't wear socks and go as far as putting Vaseline inside their shoes lol... I just didn't want to take it that far.

Swim 17:47
T1 3:58
Bike 1:12:18
T2 1:04
Run 35:35
Penalty 2:00
Overall 2:12:40
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

...and me coming across the finish line. I tell you what the photographers make bank changing $10 per photo...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

this thread keeps me motivated to work out Smile
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

ceez Wrote:this thread keeps me motivated to work out Smile

I'm glad that I and others who have contributed to the thread have helped you stay motivated. I'm sort of in the same boat (and same age)....borderline high BP and cholesterol...Both have been coming down like a rock since I quit smoking and the whole 9 yards of this thread. Hopefully everything I'm doing will be enough.

When it comes to exercise it is always better when it is something you enjoy doing, meaning not doing something like a treadmill at the gym. I mean a lot of people do it, but I would prefer to run along the lake if I have the choice. Same with cycling and hiking...I mean a stair stepper and watching Fox News at the gym isn't my thing lol

I guess that's why I want to do all these crazy things like go on bike tours and hike this 25-30 miles trail over 3 days...do a triathlon and so on is to make all this more interesting. I figure as long as I feel good doing it that's all that matters.
Check out my stuff!

Farkin' Fantastic, Axle!

You should be flying flags for this one!

You had all the ups and downs of anyone prepping for a big event and you did an incredible job motivating yourself right across the finish line. YAY [MENTION=23180]axle2152[/MENTION]! You have done yourself proud!
I bid NO Trump!

in the navy we had to run a mile and a half every 6 months in a certain amount of time. Some people would smoke cigarettes during the run.

Good job. Smile

JohnMusic Wrote:in the navy we had to run a mile and a half every 6 months in a certain amount of time. Some people would smoke cigarettes during the run.

Good job. Smile

I heard it was something like 2 miles in 18:00

Honestly though I can't even do that, I really am not fast at anything. On a good bike might keep up with the masses but not good at swimming and not a fast runner by any means. If I just concentrated on running alone I might be able to get it down to a 9:00 pace but not right now. I can run 7.5 miles non-stop just not getting there fast.

I think smoking cigarettes while running, or doing anything strenuous has to be worse for you... Glad I quit. I think unlike the saying what doesn't kill you makes you stronger it is more accurate to say what doesn't kill you leaves its mark on you and contributes to the eventual decline and death....only makes you mentally more robust. Sounds a bit morbid but I feel like if I had never smoked I could have been winning the triathlon, but that's assuming a lot of things that would have went right when I was younger. If I had got into sports then and stuck with it and never smoked or anything...ate junk food which I still do on occasion.

Definitely makes sense that the military has those requirements because if you're taking a half hour to run 2 miles you're a liability and a risk to others. Also, probably means you're overweight like I am...I may have lost 40 lbs but I could lose another 40 and be quite happy about it. I really hate it when people say oh but you look fine, I'm still over 200 lbs and ought to be around 160-170.
Check out my stuff!