Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lose Weight/Excercise
Insertnamehere Wrote:First highlighted sentence: Nope, just sugar and caffeine. Fattening (the first) and addictive both on their own.

Second Highlighted sentence: Repeat after me. Tea is LIFE! Big Grin

seriously man, tea is all sorts of great. Try Earl Grey.

Well I do drink coffee in the morning...black. That should do me on the caffeine... I'd say the sugar is probably the problem...and I pretty much know it is, that's why everyone goes for the donuts and crap.

What does everyone do for exercise...I already run on the treadmill...I like to go for walks when I can...which will be limited to the weekends, weather permitting...

I figure I could start doing push ups, dumbbell curls and maybe situps...but do one of those one day and sort of space it out...at least to start with...I don't want to be too sore the next day...once I get acclimated to doing those maybe more frequently... Some of this stuff I haven't done in ages...and even then might not have been doing them right...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

[MENTION=23180]axle2152[/MENTION]

Home excercising. HIIT routines, normal cardio, kickboxing, bodyweight, etc.

No gear and no gym. That does make me rely on my own discipline which is not always suitable, but it's given me a few results.

Started a year ago or so, been getting a bit of muscle here and there and dropped a trouser (UK)/pant (US) size. Haven't weighted myself to give an exact number, sorry.

Consistency is the key and letting yourself fall off the wagon a bit too. You're not always gonna be disciplined, but the important part is to pick up where you left off.

My problems will always be about food. Damn culture doesn't know how to pull off a diet not based on corn, potatoes or bread. That is up to me to change. I'm also somewhat of an anxiety eater...that's not good.

So I've gotten, more or less the excersicing part down, just need to work on my food habits.

And work......work is crazy, and I'm always running around...that is a blessing and a curse. The first is that I'm not that sedentary but the other part is anxiety and stress which lead me to...you guessed it...poor food habits.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

I have more faith in the exercise over food...well to a point...but not sure if kickboxing would be a good thing for me to go for right now. I'm not very flexible...never really have been either and since I don't stretch well I'm sure that hasn't got any better either... Not sure if stretching really will make one much more flexible...but eh... Maybe sometime..I'd probably end up whacking my foot on furniture or something...

My job pretty much is a desk job...I try to get up and move around but it definitely isn't enough. Just the lack of physical activity at my job is enough to kind of think about the career path I'm in.... I like what I do, but if its going to kill me because I sit on my butt then I need to look for something a little more physical. My previous job required a little more activity but not really a lot, sometimes I would walk across the property intentionally...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

[MENTION=23180]axle2152[/MENTION]

Start with basic, low impact stuff and then as you progress, you increase the difficulty.That's what I did. I most certainly wasn't able to pull off the stuff I do now a year ago. And quite frankly I still suck SO MUCH at some things...like throwing proper kicks.

Flexibility does increase over time if you do stretching exercise and stuff. Hasn't improved a whole lot for me, gotta say but it's a tad better than before.

Control over food, and that's something I hate, always has more impact than exercise in keeping the weight under control. Easier to not consume the calories than to try burning them afterwards.

Of course, the perfect combo is, to do both.

There are plenty of sites you can find, like Hasfit and the likes, that have helpful outlines to keep a schedule. They're also free so...yeah.

If you can't really do stuff on your own (hey like I said, it's hard for me sometimes) a gym membership maybe good because there is some money spent there that will make you do things not to waste it.

Also, and that is something I could use, a work out buddy might be a good idea if you can get ahold of one.

Well, I see the conversation is off to a good start.
[MENTION=23180]axle2152[/MENTION] , yeah if you're drinking coke, you need to find the presence to stop. You'll never loose fat so long as you're indulging in sugar. This is pretty much true of ALL highly processed foods. Most all of them contain sugar or "sugar" by another name:

[Image: sugar-names_0.png]

Begin looking at the labels on packaging. Is any of the above in what your buying? If so, how far down in the list is it? (The ingredients are theoretically listed in order of quantity highest to lowest.) As a general rule, if you want to loose fat, the best thing is to not buy anything that comes in a can, box, or bottle.

More later....

^ [MENTION=20947]MikeW[/MENTION] Yes but no Big Grin

sugar = sucrose = α-D-glucopyranosyl-(1→2)-β-D-fructofuranoside = glucose +fructose

(well, it should be (2R,3R,4S,5S,6R)-2-[(2S,3S,4S,5R)-3,4-dihydroxy-2,5-bis(hydroxymethyl)oxolan-2-yl]oxy-6-(hydroxymethyl)oxane-3,4,5-triol but humor me)

But yes, they all end up catabolized to AcetylCoA and when in excess, fatty acids... ^_^

I think I'm probably ok with the oatmeal and cranberries...but what I've been doing for lunch is been getting the so called "Healthy Choice" steamer...which usually consists of rice, vegitables and a broth which is a bit sweet and probably has more sugar in it than I realize because they add salt....

I do know that adding salt is a way of disguising the sugar...and I know the food companies knows that sugar is addictive, look at how they market everything...just like the "new" coke back in the 80's...more salt and more sugar...they know what they're doing.

But dealing with the mental task is not easy...I think taking small steps, giving up coke and getting in the habit of running a couple miles and just introduce things slowly...I don't want to make the same mistake like I did in 2012 and end up bombing out... That happened because I tried doing too much too soon...I was fine until my relatives came and between all the cake, booze and throwing me off my rituals of running...4-7 miles a day I ended up just quitting...
Check out my stuff!

Insertnamehere Wrote:^ [MENTION=20947]MikeW[/MENTION] Yes but no Big Grin

sugar = sucrose = α-D-glucopyranosyl-(1→2)-β-D-fructofuranoside = glucose +fructose

(well, it should be (2R,3R,4S,5S,6R)-2-[(2S,3S,4S,5R)-3,4-dihydroxy-2,5-bis(hydroxymethyl)oxolan-2-yl]oxy-6-(hydroxymethyl)oxane-3,4,5-triol but humor me)

But yes, they all end up catabolized to AcetylCoA and when in excess, fatty acids... ^_^

I thought this was an interesting video I watched a while back...

Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:...But dealing with the mental task is not easy...I think taking small steps, giving up coke and getting in the habit of running a couple miles and just introduce things slowly...I don't want to make the same mistake like I did in 2012 and end up bombing out...
I agree that is wise. I'm an on again, off again, smoker... so I know how that goes. I mean, being emotionally and mentally ready to give up a habit. I stopped smoking most recently about a month ago. I really don't miss it except in odd moments. The "trick" for me is to not try and suppress the cravings, but just simply not fulfill them. What happens is, pretty soon I "forget" about the craving because my attention has been taken by something else. It's only later that I realize "Oh, I never had that cig," ... or... "Oh, I never ate that piece of cake..." W/E.

But what I will recommend is you establish a GOAL diet. By that at this point I mean a "clean" diet. Look at what you eat now and decide what you *could* eat instead that would be more nutritive, less sugar and starchy carbs. Once you have that figured out, that is you "goal" diet. Now, the point of having it is to try and achieve as much of it as you can. You don't have to achieve 100%... although if you do, great!! If you can stay above 75% you're on target and you will loose weight... provided you also either walk a lot or do something else.

I'm not a runner. I don't like running. For one thing it is hard on my joints (especially still being about 30lbs over weight and old). I *do* enjoy my own "aerobic" stuff I do... which is basically "aerobic step". I'll explain that some other time.

Frankly, I don't think "aerobics" works very well as a weight (fat) loss strategy. It can be a help but I wouldn't rely on it. Like I say, you can't out run a caloric surplus. It just doesn't burn that many calories.

OTOH, if you ENJOY running... then you should run. I'm all for people doing what they enjoy and find fun. WAY more important to do physical exercise you WANT to do than try and make yourself do shit you hate. My advice, though, is don't think that running is going to help you loose fat. It probably isn't.

What kind/size(s) dumb bells do you have?

[MENTION=20947]MikeW[/MENTION] They're 20 lb -- They're heavy enough to be beneficial at least starting out anyway.
Check out my stuff!