Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lurid Digs
^ so young. so innocent.

I'm torn.

While I have looked on in horror when guys post their nude selfies in a room that looks like a crime scene on a stained bare mattress on the floor, I feel in some (most?) Cases these guys are just being shallow, catty, and superficial. Sites like this makes me hesitant to share too much in fear of ending up on some super critical site trying to shame me for not living up to their standards.

Borg69 Wrote:I'm torn.

While I have looked on in horror when guys post their nude selfies in a room that looks like a crime scene on a stained bare mattress on the floor, I feel in some (most?) Cases these guys are just being shallow, catty, and superficial. Sites like this makes me hesitant to share too much in fear of ending up on some super critical site trying to shame me for not living up to their standards.

It appears that part and parcel of internet comedy is to expand the premise. especially if something becomes popular.

A little backstory before I go on, so those not in the know can keep up. Vinyl records have experienced something of a resurgence over the past half decade. The average price for a typical used LP has bumped up from 50 cents or so, to around two dollars (US). One result of this is that several online sellers have decided that if they've got records, they've got gold. They list their "treasures" on Craigslist or eBay for many times their actual worth, hoping to make a killing. I belong to a small online community that collects some of the most egregious examples for our bemusement.

We might be shown a Craigslist ad for a scratchy copy of Elvis Presley's "Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite". This LP sold about five million copies, and I'd estimate at least two million still clutter the landscape today. I have roughly a 50% chance of running into it at any given thrift store or garage sale, and every used record store has a copy for a dollar or two. But the Craigslist ad will trumpet that this is a "RARE ELVIS FIND - from when he was still alive!" It will have a blurry photo, but not so blurry so that you can't make out the huge rip across the front cover. And the seller will confidently state "These records sell for $500 on eBay" but will be willing to part with this treasure for just $200.

So someone will post it, and we'll laugh about various aspects of it. How most record fans consider this album something of a "nuisance record" - it clogs up the bins as we look for other things we want. About how easy it is to do just search on eBay for the record to realize how, no, it doesn't sell for $500 there. Or about how the ad has been on craigslist for over a year.

But as time has gone on, this small online group has grown larger. It gets more hits. And the owners want more people to show up, and show up more often. Which leads them to wanting to add more content. Thing is - the number of people selling "Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite" for $500 is pretty minimal. So, for instance, they post somebody selling it for $20. Or somebody selling 200 LPs for $100. Things that simply are no longer humorous just by their very nature, but simply "mildly overpriced" and/or "something I wouldn't be interested in". And for an item like that, somebody at the site has to find an angle. Sometimes there IS something else there that's humorous. One such Craigslist ad had about 40 LPs for sale for $100 (no big deal), but the ad said "Perhaps we can meet at a coffee shop or chain restaurant to discuss them." I commented "I'm going to have to have sex with this guy before I get to see the records, aren't I?" But with many others, there is no obvious humor there. And they can't just let the item speak for itself, as the actual item is now fairly bereft of humor. So they perhaps write a long intro, about this guy's mindset, or the path this LP took from pressing plant to ignoble end in a Craigslist ad.

And Lurid Digs seems to be of a piece. I mean, I love the posts where the picture speaks all the words. Where you can actually see the cockroach on the wall behind the guy. (Or in Rareboy's post, where the man lays out all of his sex toys just so.) But others just sound like people wanted to write. As if they were given some random photo and told "mock this". Mind you, some of them do a damn good job of it. But even when they do, the photos don't necessarily strike me as very mock-worthy. They're like....well, "Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite" for $20.

Lex

lmao. Some of those pics are just too funny! Had to go back and look at more.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!