Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lying about one's age
This is just to bring up an issue that I see repeating all over websites where gay people try to meet other gay people. What's the point in lying about your age? Please think twice before you do so.

1. Do you really want a person in your life who would talk/not talk to you because you're x years older/younger?
2. If the answer to number 1 above is: "yes", then do you really want to lie to that person?!
3. If the answer to number 2 above is: "I don't care!", are you sure you want to see the reaction on that person's face once he finds out?! I mean, you ARE planning to meet that person one day, right?

Please, don't be ashamed of your age, and do not give way to an agist society. There's nothing wrong with being 60 years old, all it means is that you have some more wrinkles, and probably MUCH more experience.

Regards.

justanotheruser Wrote:This is just to bring up an issue that I see repeating all over websites where gay people try to meet other gay people. What's the point in lying about your age?
I don't know why people do that...personally i feel its wrong to do so and use
my real age

Quote:I mean, you ARE planning to meet that person one day, right?
um....seriously doubt that'll ever happen LOL

Quote:Please, don't be ashamed of your age, and do not give way to an agist society.
LOL i'm not ashamed of my age & don't care if people know that i'm no longer
young/getting old Smile

Hi Justanotheruser,
So why don't you tell us your age?
Welcome anyway.
I'm not quite sure why this is an issue. My bf knows my age and so do my friends. I'm not in the first flush of youth but I don't need a badge with my age on, thank you very much. What's the problem?

Hello Peter,

As I said at the beginning of my post, it's a phenomenon that I find repeating a lot over meeting websites, this is why I believe it's an issue.

The reason I didn't put my age is because I simply choose not to. I'm just trying to portrait that I understand the fact that someone would not want to communicate their age, but not lie about it.

Thank you,
Sammy

So ... is this a place to raise this then? It's not a meeting site, it's a discussion site ... oh, sorry this a discussion, n'est-ce pas?

However much I might wish I still had my 30 year-old body, I'm stuck with this 54 year old and getting older one. If I were going to meet someone I'd be found out if I lie. If I'm not going to meet them what does it matter?

To be honest, I find it more helpful to have a bit of an idea as to the age of the contributor, because it sometimes helps me frame a response. My points of reference might need to take into account the likely life experience of a 14 year old being different from those of a 60 year old.

Personally i think that disclosing age on a place like this is important as the internet and communications thereon are always somewhat more impersonal than, say, an actual conversation. That little number is like a piece of a puzzle as you try to associate the words that whoever posts with what kind of person you think or they say they are. Maybe i'm just too idealistic...

marshlander Wrote:To be honest, I find it more helpful to have a bit of an idea as to the age of the contributor, because it sometimes helps me frame a response.
Well said Smile I feel the same way...

Agreed, there is no reason to be shy of your age on here.

Well it seems that some people prefer not to disclose their age, and that's fine... we can also get an idea of how old they are, and how much of the world they've seen from their contributions, However, if people are to trust us older ones with a little experience of life, it's good that they should know, we didn't become wise or wiser overnight. Agism is a terrible thing when it starts being a discriminating thing. But, as Marshlander said, since this is a discussion site, no one is really trying to hook up with a lovely thirty year old body. Just exchanging ideas and questions and fun.

Somebody on this forum adds to all their posts something like "I am not a number". I choose not to disclose my age for exactly that reason. I don't want to be treated like a number. In the words of the song "You only act your age if that's the age you want to be". I never act my age and I don't want to be treated like an age. When I'm with my grandchildren (there's a clue!) I act like a five year old. When I'm face to face with someone I have no problem in telling them my age.
To me age is a bit like cock-size. Most people don't need to know the size of my cock. But if I were in the market for a bit on the side (and I'm not), I would have no problem in telling someone I fancied that I had an eleven inch cock - oh damn I've said it now!

Translation: 11 inches = 28 cm