Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS - SAME LOVE What Do You Think?
You can see this video on Youtube at

Is this suitable material for a UK middle school assembly of 450 students, average age of 10?
Comments please.
I believe there is a time and place for everything.

If only there were more music videos like this. I don't see anything that would not be suitable for children, I would definitely let my 12-year old godchild watch it. If you learn early in life that we all are different and still the same, maybe there will be more tolerance and acceptance in the world.

Thank you for your comment. Please note the average age of 10

Grandparent Wrote:Thank you for your comment. Please note the average age of 10

Yes, I noticed that. I still don't see anything wrong in that video, my godchild's 7 years old sister would be allowed to watch it too.

Thank you once again. Expanding on the question, would the parents of your god children have the same opinion? Just wondering as the point of the original question is aimed at the parental point of view.

Grandparent Wrote:Thank you once again. Expanding on the question, would the parents of your god children have the same opinion? Just wondering as the point of the original question is aimed at the parental point of view.

Yes, they would.

If that video upsets or offends anyone, then the first question you should be asking is 'WHY HAS IT UPSET ME' rather than come to a forum and ask if others would allow their children to watch this video, because those that have been discriminated against are always going to say yes because we agree that education is the way to ending discrimination, but the white heterosexual alpha male is always going feel they are being undermined and need to ask questions like this.

Just saying.

I think younger kids SHOULD see more videos like this. Too many kids grow up learning to hate and fear homosexuality. That's how I grew up, so I wish I had been exposed to more positive messages like this.

What time and place would you suggest? After a few more years of kids being bullied and made to feel like they're wrong or mentally ill and deserving of their isolation? A few more years of allowing the mentality of ignorance and intolerance to stick? A few more years of the adults tacitly affirming this state of affairs by their fearful silence?

Look, I have no delusions about how cruel kids can be. This video isn't gonna turn them all into a bunch of peace-love-and-tolerance crusaders dressing in drag at pride parades. Hell many of them will probably tune it out altogether and get back to their usual shit. But it puts the idea out there for Katie that maybe she isn't a freak because she's crushing on the girl who sits in front of her at math class, and maybe that 'faggot' that Eddie keeps pushing down doesn't really deserve it.

I'd be more offended if the video was pulled in order to 'protect' these kids from a message of love and understanding that they're perfectly old enough to hear.

I think the title is cheesy and cliche. His lyrics also kind of sounded like an attack on conservatism, which I didn't like. I would have preferred it if he aimed at homophobes only.

It's not for me, but I guess I'm glad that the song exists, though.