Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MEPs urged to recognise same-sex partnerships
The European Parliament is being urged to consider introducing EU-wide recognition of same sex partnerships.

As you know some countries allow marriage, others, like the UK have marriage- in civil partnerships. Others, of course are still openly homophobic. Sadly Portugal's parliament has just turned down the opportunity to recognise same-sex partnerships.

I assumed that, because the French PACS was recognised in the UK as a civil partnership that the reciprocal arrangement was in force. This is not so. So, while PA could be married to me, I could not be married to him! This article looks at some of the absurdities of the current situation.

What a muddle :frown:

Be glad that you are not in the states... as each state will have some sort of law for or against. Thus each state will or will not recognize a marriage. You could be married in one state and walk across the street into another state and NOT be married...

fjp999 Wrote:Be glad that you are not in the states... as each state will have some sort of law for or against. Thus each state will or will not recognize a marriage. You could be married in one state and walk across the street into another state and NOT be married...

agreed! but really it needs to be taken out of governments hands

GayComputerDude Wrote:agreed! but really it needs to be taken out of governments hands

agreed, but whose hands should it be put in? Sad that it is even an issue... very very sad

I must admit that I find it a bit irritating that people that have so much point their finger at those that don't, and who want something that doesn't really affect them at all ...

In what possible way would the recognition of same-sex marriage (or civil partnership, whatever it's called it doesn't really matter to me) affect the day-to-day lives of married heterosexual couples ?

We're not trying to rob them of anything; we're not trying to bring into disrepute the hallowed institution of marriage (they've done a good enough job of that themselves, no disrespect); all we want is to have our love for our partners recognised in a way that affords us a bundle of rights akin to marriage ... and to have that love and commitment respect and acknowledged by the powers that be ...

As I see it, in a society where we're taxed like everybody else, expected to conform to the same laws as everybody else and punished like everybody else, ought we not be treated like everybody else ?

I really don't understand the arrogance of these people that say "no ... this is for US ... you aren't entitled ... buuuuuuuuuuuuut we'll still take all this money away from you in tax" (just to give one example).

*sighs*

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

fjp999 Wrote:Be glad that you are not in the states... as each state will have some sort of law for or against. Thus each state will or will not recognize a marriage. You could be married in one state and walk across the street into another state and NOT be married...

That is true, honey Frank, this is so ridiculous.... As we would say in French (with much disdain) ... "C'est N'IMPORTE QUOI!!!" -in other words complete nonsense /foolishness / utter rubbish / inconsistency.

Shadow Wrote:I must admit that I find it a bit irritating that people that have so much point their finger at those that don't, and who want something that doesn't really affect them at all ...

In what possible way would the recognition of same-sex marriage (or civil partnership, whatever it's called it doesn't really matter to me) affect the day-to-day lives of married heterosexual couples ?

We're not trying to rob them of anything; we're not trying to bring into disrepute the hallowed institution of marriage (they've done a good enough job of that themselves, no disrespect); all we want is to have our love for our partners recognised in a way that affords us a bundle of rights akin to marriage ... and to have that love and commitment respect and acknowledged by the powers that be ...

As I see it, in a society where we're taxed like everybody else, expected to conform to the same laws as everybody else and punished like everybody else, ought we not be treated like everybody else ?

I really don't understand the arrogance of these people that say "no ... this is for US ... you aren't entitled ... buuuuuuuuuuuuut we'll still take all this money away from you in tax" (just to give one example).

*sighs*

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

You could even add ... "work for (and with) the community" in ways that are often quite selfless (not to mention the army, the health care system, etc.... we don't all work in discos, far from it!)

princealbertofb Wrote:As we would say in French (with much disdain) ... "C'est N'IMPORTE QUOI!!!" -in other words complete nonsense /foolishness / utter rubbish / inconsistency.

OMG, I love the way that sounds in French, especially when said with greag disdain Remybussi

fjp999 Wrote:OMG, I love the way that sounds in French, especially when said with greag disdain Remybussi

yes .. it sounded very sexy!
LOL

GayComputerDude Wrote:yes .. it sounded very sexy!
LOL
Meanwhile, back to the point of discussion ... Wink

I'm not convinced that government should withdraw from such discussions, although I would come at it from a different point of view. If left to "the people" we would probably have never been able to leave our houses, but it is actually governments who have set the frameworks in place for social reform through enacting fairer legislation. The problem comes when governments act in a populist way and forget the higher issues :frown: