Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac Tiger to Leopard Upgrade
Hi all.

I am thinking very seriously of finally upgrading to Leo.

What is the consensus on the best way to upgrade?

I understand there are four ways: install, upgrade, archive and install, and erase and install.

I want the best trouble free upgrade method. I believe I have a large enough external HD to remove all my data if necessary.

any suggestions appreciated,
thanks,
frank

I'm still on 10.4 and don't plan to upgrade to Leopard until I have to ... or at least until all the compatibility concerns with the programs I use have been properly addressed. I had a very nasty experience on a previous upgrade where I lost all Pro-Tools functionality until a year or so later when upgrades to both PT and OSX came back into sync (Digidesign did not "support" 10.3.9). Also, I'm using a G4 processor, so I'm not sure my 3 year old computer would cope.

Being a belt and braces kind of person normally, I would back up everything then upgrade. It's usually fairly painless, unless you are unlucky. Just how lucky do you feel Wink

Not as lucky as you, my darling, I'm sure... No offense meant, Frank. Wink

OK, this is the reason I might want to upgrade. See I have a MBP that has this little keyboard problem. Often times the first letter will not register. That problem is called the " ELP! Missing Letter" and has a long history from the Powerbook period. I also type the letter N and it will not register.

A couple hundred people have been fighting Apple for a fix for over a year. A kind level 2 Apple agent gave me a free wireless keyboard and I love it so dont notice the keyboard issues.

Just the other day Apple released a fix for the bug but it only works for Leo. I was so upset I called Apple to complain about where the Tiger fix was. Previously I had three of my MBPs captured to be studied by the engineers so I have been working hard with Apple to get a fix for this issue. When I called the other day to complain I was given a free iPod Touch 8G as compensation for all my frustrations. It is on the truck right now for a Monday delivery.

I guess that would be a lucky thing but I really dont feel lucky. Certainly not as lucky as M or PA :tongue:

Anyways, at this rate with all my complaining I might just get an Air for all my troubles :tongue:

I think I will go with Marshlander and just wait it out. Users are saying that the fix only works for some Leo users and not for others. It really must be an odd bug this keyboard issue.

thanks both.

btw, my bad luck issue would be that my house contract signing party was scheduled for last Friday. Thursday I got a call from the owner (power of attorney) and the mother (real owner of the house) had died so everything has been cancelled until everything is put into the daughters name. I was one day away from owning a house and Dorothy died! I guess that is pretty bad luck for someone

Oh dear, Frank;... I hope it all eventually works out for you... Friends of Dorothy indeed... tsk tsk; No, honestly, I hope you get the house. Bighug

Quote:Friends of Dorothy indeed... tsk tsk

OH my god.

That is so fucking funny :biggrin: thanks for the giggles

frank

I have Leopard and haven't experienced ANY problems as of yes. I love the new dock layout! haha.

Although, Safari does tend to restart with an error ALOT when using programs which require Shockwave which is a great nuisance. - Even when I'm opening in Rosetta.

fjp999 Wrote:OH my god.

That is so fucking funny :biggrin: thanks for the giggles

frank

Glad it tickled you in the right spot... You deserve at least that good fortune. Invasion