Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac, Windows or Linux
Arthur.FWT Wrote:Ubuntu's awesome, but their insistence that it's Linux's Ready For Prime-Time distribution is just plain not true. Once it's set up and you're used to it, it's a doddle to use and faaaar faster than anything non-Linux (apart from more esoteric OSs like BSD) but ask a regular user to edit Fstab and Menu.lst by hand and, ehhh, not so much.

Uh oh. I'm geeking right out, I should nip back to SlashDot and get it out of my system!

I'm avoiding my geek outbursts Roflmao.
Ubuntu is a very advanced system, it has been ready for "prime-time distribution" for quite a while now, fstab and all that command like stuff have GUI applications which Ubuntu use.

A lot of people on the Ubuntu forums tell you to use the command line just due to the simplicity of diagnosing problems it makes it a lot easier.

Ubuntu is used in a lot of business areas, one I heard of was used by the British government just due to the security advantages it stopped the idiotic Windows users opening up excutable attachments in emails Roflmao.

BSD doesn't really focus greatly on the Desktop market, it has mostly focused its POWERFUL system on servers, which 90% of the internet is made up of Unix based servers, which is where the Linux kernel came from.
The only reason its not used widely is because people shit themselves when something changes in their routine.

So much for avoiding my geekyness.

fjp999 Wrote:Read a great letter from a PC mag. The guy was pointing out that the writers gushing over W7 were the same gushing over Vista at the beginning... then MS started pulling back promises, things started getting blacker and blacker and those same writers were UGH UGH UGH over Vista... but then after a bit were gushing over Vista again... it is their job I guess.

Roflmao Same as what happened when XP came out.
Wont be long untill Vista is accepted, which is when I will focus all my effort on becoming a Machead Roflmao

While my pc with XP is forever downloading updates and patches my Mac stays put until I decide I want to upgrade something. Generally it takes a must-have addition to a software tool I'm using combined with an offer I can't refuse (like last month's one day 50% upgrade fee for an upgrade from Sibelius 4 to 5) for me to take the chance. Often an OS update on a Mac can throw a perfectly working system off kilter as happened to me when I downloaded a free update from something like 10.3.6 to 10.3.9. At that point Pro-Tools would not work and Digidesign decided they would not support the upgrade until Apple went to 10.4.

Sorry if that means absolutely nothing to anyone Rolleyes

I stepped into the Mac world recently.......& love it. Still have a lot of playing around to do, but I'm very impressed from being a windows user for a long time.

Have you heard of the new Mac being released soon.........

EDIT: Damn, worked in the preview...here's the link:

Windows because I'm a big computer game player and I also love customising my OS. Mac isn't bad and if you're doing a lot of multimedia work then they're great, though you can actually have the same exerpiece with creating multimedia on Windows, it's just Macs advertising campain as the artists OS has kinda made people think they need a mac for that. Linux is great but at the moment its only really a hobby of mine. I think I would use it as my main OS if my computer usage and demands were not so extreme.

Mark GVA Wrote:EDIT: Damn, worked in the preview...here's the link:
lol. I can type over 70 wpm with 100% accuracy with a keyboard, typing on that macbook looks like youd be averaging about 10 wpm.

Mark GVA Wrote:I stepped into the Mac world recently.......& love it. Still have a lot of playing around to do, but I'm very impressed from being a windows user for a long time.

Have you heard of the new Mac being released soon.........

EDIT: Damn, worked in the preview...here's the link:

CardShark Wrote:I'm avoiding my geek outbursts Roflmao.
Ubuntu is a very advanced system, it has been ready for "prime-time distribution" for quite a while now

Sure, for you, me, and the other geeks! For your average silver-surfer or beginner, not entirely...

Mostly what I mean is that if you have the right kit for it, it's perfect, and really easy to use, I'd let the rawest noob mess about on it without hesitation, it's actually easier and more intuitive than Windows by far. BUT, if you have an issue with, say, a wireless dongle that's not supported and you have to resort to wrapping an XP driver with NDIS, sure there's a GUI for it now but damn man, it's still a heavier deal than most Windows fixes (post '95 anyway) and most people I know would be lost within seconds!

I did love it though, sad that I had to lose it but I had to claw back some HD space and can't be booting into windows the whole time to do music stuff, it was getting counter-productive. Arthur loses +100 geek points. :/

Australia Wrote:lol. I can type over 70 wpm with 100% accuracy with a keyboard, typing on that macbook looks like youd be averaging about 10 wpm.

First I would like to admit that the traditional Qwerty keyboard is a terrible dinosaur that is still with us. Initially there were quite a variety of typewriter keyboards, the Qwerty one tended to get jammed less often. Once secretaries got used to the Qwerty (and it would be difficult to be less intuitive) then there wasn't an opportunity for any other design. Even when it was originally designed it could have been better, the choice of which letter is one which key is just plain wrong, the most commonly used letters should be the easiest to press. That said once you are used to it is pretty quick. The Macbook Wheel looks like an awful lot of effort, imagine typing a several page letter like that! Occasionally Apple manage to let form get not merely ahead of funciton but right out in front.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

On this note, I feel I ought to treat y'all to a little geeky humour... Smile

MacBook Wheel Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl

Brilliant spoof Xyxthumbs