Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major problem with the burkha
Matt23 Wrote:This joke isn't about me, I still don't think its funny. When anyone says something about gay people, it's homophobic, not freedom of speech. The world is pretty hateful towards many groups of people, why contribute to it?

I was raised Catholic, but I still laugh at Priest-Pedo jokes. Lighten up, if you don't all the lube in the world isn't gonna make it enjoyable.
~Beaux

Matt23 Wrote:This joke isn't about me, I still don't think its funny. When anyone says something about gay people, it's homophobic, not freedom of speech. The world is pretty hateful towards many groups of people, why contribute to it?

You're confusing freedom of speech with freedom from consequences. Hate speech is definitely covered under freedom of speech, but there is no protection from the consequences of said speech.

By the way, Matt, you're from the South. So you're probably not exposed to a lot of Muslims. I have a feeling that they would not interpret this as hate speech.

[MENTION=19211]Matt[/MENTION] there's a deeper issue here connected to Freedom of Speech....

Freedom of Speech is a concept that initiated in the Age of Enlightenment and was pushed to the limit by Voltaire -- the man who's mockery and satire of religion and governments was one of the forces that caused both to take critical looks that themselves -- and change.

By mocking anything, by exaggerating the absurdity of it it is great when it upsets the person or people it is about. That's what should happen. In this case it should make people who believe burkas are a good thing feel like they are being laughed at and ridiculed because they deserve to laughed at and ridiculed. That is the greatest incentive we can use to make them look at themselves critically and change.

1. This cartoon was posted out of hate, not lightly making fun.
2. I have met some Muslims before and they are some of the kindest people I know. And they do find these cartoons offensive because it ridicules their faith.
3. Why do you care if someone wears a burka or not. what someone else is wearing doesn't affect you in any way.
4. Let's agree to disagree. I'm not interested in arguing. Just stating my opinion. Freedom of speech!

The joke is funny because it is about confused identity ...covering up from head to toe so no one can see you....and what might happen Rofl

I agree about racial jokes...not funny.....

But religion is a choice.

I am a total stereotypical 1960s/1970s type SF Bay Area tree hugging liberal who is "out there" ....and I laugh the hardest when funny people make the jokes (unless they are from Texas)

I also think alot like Shirley MacClaine and I believe alot of the new age and metaphysical stuff that alot of people make fun of...and alot of it IS funny...doesn't take anything away from me. I still believe what I believe.....

Virge Wrote:[MENTION=19211]Matt[/MENTION] there's a deeper issue here connected to Freedom of Speech....

Freedom of Speech is a concept that initiated in the Age of Enlightenment and was pushed to the limit by Voltaire -- the man who's mockery and satire of religion and governments was one of the forces that caused both to take critical looks that themselves -- and change.

By mocking anything, by exaggerating the absurdity of it it is great when it upsets the person or people it is about. That's what should happen. In this case it should make people who believe burkas are a good thing feel like they are being laughed at and ridiculed because they deserve to laughed at and ridiculed. That is the greatest incentive we can use to make them look at themselves critically and change.

There's a lot of people who think you deserve to be laughed at and ridiculed for being gay. Doesn't mean you should change

Matt23 Wrote:There's a lot of people who think you deserve to be laughed at and ridiculed for being gay. Doesn't mean you should change

Yeah............. but that's the fun thing about understanding how to use mockery....... There's not one single thing that a straight person can say to me or about gays that I can't and don't use to make them look ridiculous and idiotic and make other straight people laugh at them.....

I am seriously thinking about wearing a burkha myself. I could go into a straight bar and get laid without anyone finding out there's a wrinkled old gay fart under all those garments!!! I wonder if Chanel #5 would be appropriate for the occasion? (smile)...
We Have Elvis !!

[Image: 28071.jpg]

[Image: Islamist-Advantage.jpg]

Matt23 Wrote:It's easy to laugh when the joke isn't about you

I must agree with my neighbor on this one.

The joke, and jokes like it, are the worst sort of bigotry. It doesn't encourage change. It doesn't distinguish between respectable Muslims and terrorists. It degrades all conservative Muslims as stupid and backward. It isn't congenial, laughing at self while laughing at others. It wouldn't be any more welcome were it lampooning nuns in habits.

We countenance so much strong disrespect in modern society that we've become inured to the profane, the obscene, and the bigoted arrogance of "modernists."

The joke reeks of Europe. There is much clamor about racism being some American vice, but when it comes down to it, Europe is only about two steps away from the house of colonialism that it built several centuries ago. This cartoon is a convenient expression for racist fears under the cluck-cluck cover of anti-Fundamentalism.

Good on you, Matt, for calling it.