Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making friends
So recently i've been thinking i need to make some more friends.
I have a few good friends but i've found a lot of us have been drifting a bit recently, and more importantly we're all about to finish uni and go off in different directions (except me who's staying here in Newcastle still).

So i was just wondering if anyone had any good tips for making friends? I never feel comfortable going up to random people in bars and stuff so it's not often i meet people that way, i've met some people that way but not many. I've rejoined here in the hope of making some friends (hint hint :-P lol). And i've also joined the website Gaydar (profile link is somewhere on my GaySpeak profile i think), i know Gaydar isn't exactly friend making central but i've met some nice peopel on it before + i'm recently single again (which is a story for another time, but don't worry it's coming once i feel comfortable enough talking about it).

So yeah tips?

(I've just noticed i start far too many paragraphs with the word 'So'...i'l have to work on that lol)

So ... what do you like to do apart from hang round bars, cruise Gaydar and play with balloons Wink No, seriously, if it's friends you're after, are any of your hobbies and interests activities that people might get together to do? That's sometimes a good place to start.

I know what you mean about starting random conversations. I'm not very good at it either, but I'll soon be old enough so that people don't care that I wear purple with my red hat that doesn't go, and then they'll probably ignore me anyway. Actually it doesn't take much. Mostly you can just look at someone and smile and ask if they're having a good day. Funny, because once the first person makes an effort it often seem to work out that the other one was too shy of initiating contact too.

Most of my gay friends are folks I've met through developer conferences. So, I'd say find something you enjoy and join a group.

You might find some gay specific groups through your local LGBT centre.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Also, anyone know any other good chatrooms or forums similar to this one?

Yeah well i was involved with my Universities LGBT society last year (and before) but this year i wasn't so impressed with the society of its management so i've fallen out of touch with it a bit. Hopefully i'l pick it back up when i start my new course in sept though (even though it'd be the same society).

As sad as it sounds i don't really have any outgoing hobbies or anything, though that is something i'd like to develop..though what such a hobby may be is a whole different issue haha

I'm no good at making friends, I guess I just don't trust enough.
It seems I'm destined to be a "loner" which doesn't bother me too much, I just hope I can find that special someone to be a "loner" with.......

As for other forums I couldn't say.....
The internet does seem like the best bet right now though.
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

I wouldn't go to the net for close friendships.

I find that knowing people who know people a very good way to met new people. I'm good at making friends but I once was a loner. I was the quietest guy out there. Now that I'm out I have gained confidence and have made lots of friends. Just go with friends and met their friends. It has worked for me. I got lots of friends. Some would say that I am popular. I just like people.

I have always found bars to be decent for that kind of thing, but it definitely depends on the local crowd.

My new thing is volunteering; in LA, we have the LA Gay & Lesbian Center which is pretty huge but if you have any LGBT organizations in your area try volunteering with them. People are pretty much forced to interact with you and it does not have the cruisy undertones of the bar scene.

All of the above are easier after a cocktail.

jet2A Wrote:All of the above are easier after a cocktail.

What isn't? lol

jwm Wrote:What isn't? lol

Ain't that the truth.

Volunteering is fun as even if it is not for a queer group.