Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making my straight friend look gay.
So I have a kind of funny situation to go on about.

In fact, it's probably not a situation at all. If I just ignore it, nothing bad will happen, I'm sure.

I have a friend (I know, I'm surprised too. It's a fairly recent development). We're pretty close. And in the music department of my school it's well known that we're friends (he's quite popular. Not in a high school sort of way, just in a "he's involved in a lot of things so a lot of people know who he is" sort of way). We're always together, sharing dumb inside jokes and such. He's straight. I'm not.

Today I ran into him in front of a group of his friends and he told me that was about to conduct a small ensemble for a performance, but he forgot to dress appropriately. I happened to be wearing a white button down shirt. He asked if he could wear it. I said sure. So I took off the shirt and gave it to him.

The shirt I was wearing underneath was a shirt that said PRIDE in big rainbow colors I got a drag show a few months ago. Forgot I had it on. When I gave him the shirt someone in the group goes "aww... you guys are so cute."

So, I feel a little weird now that his friends may think that we're a couple. It's crossed my mind before that us being with each other all the time (and admittedly we do act slightly flirty in a weird, uhmm.... progressive way). But he's definitely straight.

Is this something I should be concerned about, you think? There's not much I can do, I guess. I just feel kind of bad for him.

aww, that is cute. Smile

i don't think there's reason for concern, unless he exhibits signs of reluctance towards being seen gay/being associated with you, or starts behaving weird toward you after this little 'incident'.

does he even know you're gay?
''Do I look civilized to you?''

He does know I'm gay, and he's super cool. He's never shown any reluctance whatsoever. In fact, it's his total coolness about being with me, even when I happen to wear some pride gear (which I do cause... I don't know. I like it), that makes me feel bad. Like, I hope that just because he's a good friend he doesn't have to deal with people thinking he's not into ladies... you know what I mean?

Then again, it's his choice.

It'll be fine

I know you're right. I suppose I more wanted to share an anecdote than seek actual advice. And I have to say, when someone said "you two are so cute." I got so flustered. Not because of my friend, but because it just felt nice to hear, and would feel great to hear if I heard about someone I was actually with.

Wade Wrote:I know you're right. I suppose I more wanted to share an anecdote than seek actual advice. And I have to say, when someone said "you two are so cute." I got so flustered. Not because of my friend, but because it just felt nice to hear, and would feel great to hear if I heard about someone I was actually with.

It'll Get Gayer™

Bighug Bighug Bighug Bighug

If a straight man and a straight woman are close friends and often hang out together, or a gay man and a straight woman, a straight man and a lesbian, a lesbian and a gay man, it is not uncommon for people to think they are a couple, so I guess the assumption is sometimes going to happen for a gay man and a straight man.

I wouldn't worry about it. People who seem to get along with everyone generally have a tendency to let things roll off their back. I mean if he doesn't care, why should you?

Albie Wrote:I mean if he doesn't care, why should you?

I knew there was something nagging at me when I wrote the first post. That's it. He doesn't care, so why do I? Not sure.

Not caring anymore...

Thank you. That's better.