Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marketing/Branding Expertise...anyone? Need help!
So, here's the meat:

I've got this opportunity to experience the freedom I desire so greatly in the very very near future, and I want to make sure I do everything I can to make it work. Like, if done right I could be set for life...but I don't know how to do it right. I'm learning, and learning quickly, but there's so much to digest and so little time to do it in.

Basically, my step-mom and I are in the process of creating a product that will make life coaching much more affordable and available to anyone who can afford Starbucks more than twice a month. Super inexpensive, never been done before, and a great list of ways that we can expand, continue the growth, continue to help people, and continue to monetize the idea after the original has been launched. I'm SUPER excited, but also a little scared.

We're doing this really low budget (she's creating the content, I'm handling the technical and marketing aspects) - and for the concept, I'm confident that it will it will go above and beyond the requirements for giving it the potential to be wildly successful. We're doing a soft-launch w/squeeze page mid-August in alignment of when an interview she's doing goes live, and a full-launch mid-October when she releases another unrelated product.

The idea will be presented to about 300,000 people organically within the first week it's launched - and it will only cost us about 25% in affiliate sales whereas we're planning to offer future affiliates 50%. If just one out of every nine hundred people who views the product purchases it, my income from that alone will equal my current income. And it's being presented to a set of people who we already know are interested in what we have to say, so it could feasibly be one in one hundred or so.

That said, once we go live and it's presented to these folks, I trust that the idea is good enough, and fits a need well enough, that I'll say goodbye to my job (that I love, but doesn't fit all of my needs) to focus on this fully...and that's where I need help.

I can handle the technical aspects. I'm no developer, but I can manage putting together a beautiful, functional, well-branded site. Where I need help is the marketing. If done right, this can set us both free, and I don't want to screw it up...or let the initial onslaught of new customers lull us into a sense of security that causes us to accept the initial income as sufficient.

So, does anyone have any marketing expertise? And, if so, do you have any recommendations? Recommended reading? Blogs to follow? Simple ideas that will help change the course of my life? Anything that I may not have thought of?

I would be eternally in your debt.

What is your starting idea for marketing... Online, Offline, Pamphlet windshield, Home presentation... what have you thought already and how much are you planning to invest in your marketing campaign?

Business Management is my third university degree... I may be of assistance Smile

And may I congratulate you in taking this step... yes it is risky but if you're doing right it's very rewarding... I do a lot of IT consulting and contractual social research myself and I love the part of being in control of my destiny... yes 9 to 5 is dead... hello 8 to 12 but hello to the big Che-k-uh lol

I have some marketing experience, but I honestly need to take more classes before I am of any real help with that. My focus is more in the art side of marketing, since I'm in graphic design. I might be able to help with your image at least. Let me know if you need that at all.

Hey there, Kyle - that's not Vile of you at all. It's like the anti-vile, actually.

I may just take you up on that, we have something in the works and until it's completed I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about it. If I'm not in love with it, I'll definitely reach out.

That said, THANK YOU so very much for offering! That's super kind of you!

Careful. I might hide a dick in any artwork I give you if you tempt me enough.

HAH! A la "The Little Mermaid"?

One of my favorite restaurants in town has a two sets of mini-manufactured deer antlers. If you look at them just right, the shadow says "Fuck You". I <3 a good Easter Egg.

Well, I dont understand what the product actually is..........

But I would think your marketing strategies should target your demographic areas, not just be "generic" or "wide spread".

If you are going for online and in magazines, then target those which cater to what your product should be tied too.

Once thats done, then you can spread out some.

**This statement is from a professional consumer**

And the one rule of small business is............
You know you've got a real business once you have passed your third year of making money.

MisterTinkles Wrote:Well, I dont understand what the product actually is..........

LOOLLL I was going to say the exact same thing!

I find marketing a fascinating field and I strongly believe that one of the reasons why the economy in my country - Portugal - is doing so badly is poor marketing. We have the shittiest businessmen in Europe, most of whom only survive because of low salaries and government funding and they have no idea what marketing is.

Everytime I contact a British company, I get a quick reply and often some wonderful offers and promotions. In this country, I rarely get a reply.

A couple of very simple marketing ideas that I really enjoyed:

- Book exchange program for poor students

- Suspended coffee program

- Open day at the gym

- Free open air cinema

Celebrities are a wonderful marketing tool. If, however, hiring a celebrity is not possible, an easily recognizable historical figure could do the trick - think of Apple's Think Different ad.

Sorry, I'm a little protective of the idea right now and tried to keep things intentionally vague - and I understand that doesn't help. Let's just say that it's a membership based website that will provide quick tune-ups for our Members to help them conquer most day to day small hurdles and keep them from snowballing into larger ones. It's set up to fill a need, be inexpensive, provide people with a way to quickly get grounded (so there's plenty of time over their breaks at work, or while the kids are napping, etc), and also be profitable.

The demographic area is one of the things I struggle with. Because the concept is one that should appeal to anyone with an open mind and help all of the people, finding the best starting point is a little rough. That said, it would probably behoove me to do some research into who spends the most money on self-help and where that money is spent so I can figure out where to advertise and the most effective ways to do it in that context.

I really appreciate the ideas/feedback, everyone.