Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marriage equality in Dem platform
[SIZE="5"]
EXCLUSIVE: Senators Call for Marriage Equality Plank in Dem Platform[/SIZE]

Sen. Dianne Feinstein is among the U.S. senators backing the inclusion of marriage equality in the Democratic Party platform. (Blade file photo by Michael Key)
A group of U.S. senators is joining the wave of LGBT rights supporters calling for an endorsement of marriage equality in the Democratic Party platform.

The Washington Blade received statements from the offices of 20 Democratic senators — including Sens. John Kerry (D-Mass.), Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), Chris Coons (D-Del.) and Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) — expressing support for including a marriage equality plank in the Democratic Party platform. The Blade solicited statements from all 53 Democratic senators and will update this article as more senators respond.

The senators follow the lead of Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.), who on Tuesday became the first U.S. senator this year to get behind the idea of including same-sex marriage in the Democratic Party platform. Shaheen, who’s also a co-chair of President Obama’s national campaign committee, said she backs a plank in support of marriage equality proposed by the LGBT organization Freedom to Marry.

In addition to calling for an inclusion of marriage equality in the Democratic Party platform, the language also backs overturning the Defense of Marriage Act and passing DOMA repeal legislation known as the Respect for Marriage Act in addition to opposing state constitutional amendments aimed at blocking gay couples from marriage rights.

The platform committee is set to discuss and agree upon language in the Democratic Party platform when it gathers for the Democratic National Convention Sept. 3 in Charlotte, N.C. Officials with Democratic National Committee have declined to comment on whether the platform will be “marriage-equality inclusive.“

A number of senators issued statements to the Blade saying they want marriage equality in the Democratic Party platform without offering an explicit endorsement of language as proposed by Freedom to Marry.

Full Story Here:
http://www.washingtonblade.com/2012/03/0...-platform/

where i would agree with the effort; i would think it would be limiting Obama's ability to get that second term. Obama is a god especially in comparison to the Republican candidates and his election is critical.

pellaz Wrote:where i would agree with the effort; i would think it would be limiting Obama's ability to get that second term. Obama is a god especially in comparison to the Republican candidates and his election is critical.

He is a god? I have huge qualms about that statement. As far as effecting the election, it may certainly change things up, but we also know for a fact that the social debates within the Republican field have been alienating independent and female voters.

Excellent news.
Biggthumpup

Inchante Wrote:He is a god? I have huge qualms about that statement.

Yes in comparison to Rick Santorum or Mitt Romney

Agreed,....I am a Liberal so Obama is NOT my dream President...he was actually my last choice in the field of Democratic candidates and I had a Nader/Gonzalez Bumper Sticker...but compared to the other guys he IS a God.

...and one other thing...for all the people who like to bash Liberals (I have gotten way more crap for being a liberal than for being gayRolleyes)...read the list of people who support this...all Liberals...'just sayin'.

pellaz Wrote:Yes in comparison to Rick Santorum or Mitt Romney

LOL, yes . . . Mitt has more waffles than IHOP and Santorum, well Santorum just keeps earning his reputation as "that frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex.".

[SIZE="5"]In related news:
[/SIZE]

Support for Marriage Equality in New Jersey at Record High

Support for marriage equality is at a record high of 57 percent in New Jersey, according to a new Quinnipiac poll released yesterday.

Support was above 50 percent in categories including men, women and Catholics. Fifty-two percent of Catholics support marriage equality in the Garden State, along with 61 percent of women and 51 percent of men.

Earlier this week, State Senate President Stephen Sweeney vowed to override Governor Christie’s veto of marriage equality legislation that passed the New Jersey State Legislature

Inchante Wrote:Santorum, well Santorum just keeps earning his reputation as "that frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex.".

OMG...ROTFLMAO..that description is spot on Bow Funnypost

I'm a registered Democrat though as of late I consider myself a Liberal/Democrat/Independent. I could honestly vote Republican if I liked the person's policy and all, so I don't even see the point in labeling myself pretty much or I can myself in that direction