Rate Thread
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marriage equality just won a HUGE battle!!!!
palbert Wrote:@meridiannight

I will to simplify what is a very complicated legal situation.

The country is divided into various appeals circuits, generally for ease of court operations and administration of justice, , as follows:

[Image: 620px-US_Court_of_Appeals_and_District_C...ap.svg.png]

Each circuit court is the appellate court for the states in its circuit. The decisions of an appellate court are decisive and binding for the states in that circuit. The decisions of a circuit court have no binding impact on the decisions in another circuit: a decision may be adopted or ignored or held to be just plain wrong.

In the cases lately before the Supreme Court the three circuits all agreed on what the law was. As no circuit court has found in favor of the marriage ban there is no conflict between the circuits.

If one of the remaining circuits upholds a states marriage ban there will be a circuit conflict and the Supreme Court will most likely step in and reconcile the issue.

In brief, we are waiting to see if it is necessary for the Supreme Court to act. While highly unlikely (approaching impossibility), the Supreme Court could still decide that marriage bans are valid.

I hope other posters do not find too much fault with this summary.

Thanks for all this, PAlbert. I must say I didn't understand all of this either. It's federalism at its best, lol... (not) when a circuit court decision doesn't validate it for the whole of the USA.... but it's a step forward. Just slow... maybe slowness in matters of justice is the best way to go. ???

Virge Wrote:I agree with your message CornJackercracker < (forgive my warped need to warp names)

But you're missing something....

Contrary to what people like to think....
the primary principle of true conservatism is individual freedom and self determination. The only threat to freedom and self determination is an overreaching and too powerful government. The best way to avoid that is spread the power out as thin as possible to prevent too much power being concentrated in the hands of a few.

Therefore........

"Social Conservatives" who want government to dictate how people how other people run their lives aren't conservatives at all. They want the government to be a tool to impose their will upon other people. What "social conservatives" really are is closet theocrats in favor of forming a nation around their religious beliefs... Freedom? Self Determination? HA!

You are quite correct VirgeBurger (smile)...

I'll expand on your thoughts by saying Social Conservatives want a form of religious law to be imposed on all U.S. citizens. They are not purposefully seeking a theocratic form of government,,, they just don't have the foresight to realize this is the direction they are pushing toward.
We Have Elvis !!

princealbertofb Wrote:The older folks, those who actually vote, are gradually dying out, and with them go old ways of thinking. It's the young ones that should now be helping decide what kind of nation you and they want to live in. It'll be a hard sell to try and get them to buy all the unequal crap others have been feeding us. A good thing too.
Where there might be worry is if new comers to the States (new immigration) with antiquated values become too loud voices, but is that likely to happen? Sometimes former immigrants can be more protective and conservative than the people who've lived in the country from generations before.

Good point princealbert. I read in the news yesterday where around 500 thousand conservative protesters in France were railing against gay marriage. I wonder how many of those protestors are immigrants. Quite a few I'm sure............
We Have Elvis !!

jimcrackcorn Wrote:You are quite correct VirgeBurger (smile)...

I'll expand on your thoughts by saying Social Conservatives want a form of religious law to be imposed on all U.S. citizens. They are not purposefully seeking a theocratic form of government,,, they just don't have the foresight to realize this is the direction they are pushing toward.

And to think that the original American immigration came from a desire to pull away from religious conformity... ????

Oh Great the Gays are getting even more special rights, pushing their agenda on the God fearing Patriots of America. Its the damned liberals steering the country into hell and damnation.

Why oh Why can't we have a good Christian leader like Palin?

Wavey

The 9th Circuit has just ruled the marriage bans in Nevada and Idaho unconstitutional.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/c77063ebf...truck-down

Opinion at http://www.afer.org/wp-content/uploads/2...h-Circ.pdf

This opinion will of course apply to all states in the 9th Circuit.

[Image: CircuitMap_01.jpg]

princealbertofb Wrote:And to think that the original American immigration came from a desire to pull away from religious conformity... ????

OH HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first Europeans who came here did so to set up religious colonies where they could discriminate and kill people of other faiths!!!!!!!!!! Massachusetts was as bad as Taliban before 1780. They actually hung people from Rhode Island who crossed over into their Holy Colony.

Virtually all of the first waves of settlers to North America came here to escape discrimination from COE in England, Catholicism in France or other countries...and all set up their own religious states unti Wm Penn came to Pennslyvania

palbert Wrote:The 9th Circuit has just ruled the marriage bans in Nevada and Idaho unconstitutional.

Well that blows the hell out of this going back to SCOTUS doesn't it?

Virge Wrote:OH HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first Europeans who came here did so to set up religious colonies where they could discriminate and kill people of other faiths!!!!!!!!!! Massachusetts was as bad as Taliban before 1780. They actually hung people from Rhode Island who crossed over into their Holy Colony.

Virtually all of the first waves of settlers to North America came here to escape discrimination from COE in England, Catholicism in France or other countries...and all set up their own religious states unti Wm Penn came to Pennslyvania

Precisely my point, Virge... They fled Europe so they did not have to conform with the religions that were accepted in Europe at the time. They pulled out from religious conformity (such as they would have had to submit to if they had conformed)... They were outcasts... but they didn't necessarily understand that they would benefit more from being tolerant. (The witches of Salem and all, I know, I know...)

palbert Wrote:The 9th Circuit has just ruled the marriage bans in Nevada and Idaho unconstitutional.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/c77063ebf...truck-down

Great, and that applies also to Hawaii and Sarah Palin's Alaska... haha.