Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marriage is so gay, should I get one?
deletteeed

He does :tongue:
Uhm, yea why not?lol How much are they? It may be offending for some thought, especially the married couples... Some are so weird.

Only if he is wearing it!

I wouldnt get it, too plain, could be made better Big Grin

Sure! Why not? Interesting shirt. I wouldn't wear it though.

Er.... isn't GAY a straight word meaning BAAAAAAD ????? I don't know if I'd want to wear a t-shirt that meant something so ambiguous.

princealbertofb Wrote:Er.... isn't GAY a straight word meaning BAAAAAAD ????? I don't know if I'd want to wear a t-shirt that meant something so ambiguous.

I think that's the point. It is used as a way to campaign for Gay Marriage equality by making an ironic statement about the institution of marriage by using a word that can also have a negative connotation in a certain idiomatic contexts, e.g. the expression "<noun/verb> is so gay!"

Essentially, the statement is an insult to marriage, just as lack of equality for marriage for gay couples is an insult to us.

Hello Colin, while I had seen it to be ironic, as a statement, I hadn't thought of the implications that MARRIAGE as an institution was TRASHY, lol, I guess I'm not wired to think that MARRIAGE is TRASHY. Thanks for making that point. Confusedmile:

I do not love the shirt!! I would not wear it, I hate the ambiguity. Thanks Colin for the explanation, initially I thought, "marriage is so gay... what do they mean"? I am torn about having the thought of this slogan out there! It is recriminating homosexuality all over again, and the irony does not help at all. I am married=I am gay (noun). To be married=to be gay (verb) Marriage is so gay=gay is so marriage. *scratching head* I do not under any circumstance get it!! Being married is a choice, being gay is not! "marriage is so hetero" I see no comparison to a custom and a natural tendency, or even how a comparison like that invokes thoughts of equality, in marriage or in sexuality! Hmm!

With more thought!

Disney World is so gay!
Dancing is so gay!

I can't think positively when having to repeat this continuously. It just does not help us... the shirt is a terrible idea for the evolution, and acceptance of homosexuality.

princealbertofb Wrote:Er.... isn't GAY a straight word meaning BAAAAAAD ????? I don't know if I'd want to wear a t-shirt that meant something so ambiguous.

No, I think it has a deeper meaning than that. Gay in here means "happy" - original definition of gay.