Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marriage
Well I'v decied when I wana get married I'm going to do it anyway. I'm going to find a person who wants to marry two guys and do it even tho it wont be offical I'ma do it anyway. It's only the law and I don't reconise it. I just use common sence to not kill people.
O.o

There are too many practical reasons for legal rights. I bet your pure love for each other will be hollow comfort when something like this happens:

http://www.lambdalegal.org/news/fl_20080...l-hospital

Btw, it doesn't mention it, but the hospital was provided with legal documents showing she had a legal right to her partner (independent of her out of state marriage) and they still wouldn't allow her or her children in.

Granted, President Obama has changed the laws so that this (HOPEFULLY) won't happen again. But there are other reasons it's important as well.

Kiid Wrote:It's only the law and I don't reconise it. I just use common sence to not kill people.

This is kinda my philosophy as well. If laws aren't what I'd do anyway, then unless I have reason to believe I'll actually get into trouble over it I'll ignore it. Yet ironically, I would appear to be more law abiding than most other people. I obey traffic laws that most people ignore when there's not a cop around (as one saying goes, "no copee, no stopee") either because it's common sense or out of a sense of compassion (like letting pedestrians cross, which they often have the right of way but often have their right of way ignored by most motorists).

But I think most people who want laws in society want them for OTHER people, not themselves (so they'll run that stop sign, but hope anyone else who does it and nearly rams them or actually hurts someone they care about gets lethal injection).

Pix Wrote:Granted, President Obama has changed the laws so that this (HOPEFULLY) won't happen again.

Sorry to be a pedant but he has not changed the law. All he has done is change regulations so that federal money for Medicare and Medicaid can be withheld as a penalty from hospitals who refuse to let same-sex partners visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Me and my other half have been together for 13 years,,,,after we first got serious I promised that if gay marriage/legal partnerships ever happened I would do it. Well, bcos we lived abroad and things didnt kinda work out time wise for us it was only last year that we actually got round to it. Cant say we feel any differently about our relationship or each other,but I love the feeling .

fredv3b Wrote:You don't think the legal and tax benefits are worth having?

In order to have the same rights as a 'married' couple We spent thousands of dollars on attorney fees and filing fees and god only knows what else to have the same "rights" that two straight people get with one marriage certificate filing.

I have a stack of paperwork that affords me and my partner the same rights to property, to visit in hospital and all of that other stuff. We hauled it into the hospital for my first two surgeries, and then had to haul it in when the Domestic Partner Certificate just wasn't good enough. It should have been, after all it was the LAW - but the hospital refused to acknowledge just that one document, so I had to send my partner home to open up the fire-proof box, pull out a ream of paperwork that afforded him the right to be there in the recovery room with me when I woke up.

As for taxes... Much too late now - not unless the State and Federal Government want to go back 13+ years and retroactively give us that 'tax break'.

Screw them - screw them all. I'll be damned to just 'settle' for them decided 'oh, Ok Now we will acknowledge you, but we will not acknowledge the fact that you have been together for over a decade.'

Fuck them all.

I hate to point this out but not marrying does not screw the state, the state has nothing to loose by it.

It's a pity to cut off your nose to spite your face.

Fred

Isn't gay men marrying a bit like a vegetarian having a veggie burger?

stu Wrote:Isn't gay men marrying a bit like a vegetarian having a veggie burger?

If by that you mean gay marriage is some form of 'imitation marriage' then no! As a married gay man I find that comment really quite offensive.

Fred